Is this Marbling?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
One of the grow lines in between Murphys Scutes turned white about a month ago. Since then a few more of his grow lines have also turned white. Is this Marbling?20180821_184241.jpg20180821_184248.jpg 20180821_184251.jpg 20180821_184504.jpg 20180821_184501.jpg

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
It looks like it to me. I have a cherryhead with marbling. It's very cool looking once it spreads out, but it takes a long time.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It looks like it to me. I have a cherryhead with marbling. It's very cool looking once it spreads out, but it takes a long time.
Is this something Northern RFs normally do? I always thought it was only Cherryheads that marbled?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is this something Northern RFs normally do? I always thought it was only Cherryheads that marbled?

Yes, it does appear to be marbling. It is not generally seen in Northerns but is known to happen. Regrettably, Redfoots have been thrown together in captivity and all kinds of 'crosses', 'blending', and 'mixing' have occurred.
The markings on the plastron may give some clue as to whether It could have some Cherryhead in its bloodline.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yes, it does appear to be marbling. It is not generally seen in Northerns but is known to happen. Regrettably, Redfoots have been thrown together in captivity and all kinds of 'crosses', 'blending', and 'mixing' have occurred.
The markings on the plastron may give some clue as to whether It could have some Cherryhead in its bloodline.
This is his plastron20180823_044846.jpg

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Standard Northern plastron coloration and markings. Interesting little tortoise and, over time as growth continues and the 'marbling' develops further, will only become more so. Suspect blending at some point contributed to the attribute.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Standard Northern plastron coloration and markings. Interesting little tortoise and, over time as growth continues and the 'marbling' develops further, will only become more so. Suspect blending at some point contributed to the attribute.
Interesting, I definitely lucked up when I got him. As far as I know he was an import, possibly farmed. He's got blue eyes too!20180623_190048.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
How old is he...in this case I'll say it lol[emoji16]
I don't know for sure. I've had him since January of 2018. He was about 4" when I got him. He's a little over 6" now.