White in between the scutes?

JONeill

Hello! I have two South American Redfoot Tortoises and recently they have developed white lines in between their scutes. One is about 12 and the other is younger but not sure of age. They stay in the back yard which has shade and sun. I live in South Florida so it is very humid right now. I was feeding them twice a day (which included fruits and veggies) but then I was afraid I was over feeding them. Now I feed them just greens (collard greens mostly, but try to mix it up) once a day and fruit or veggies a couple times a week. What could these while lines be caused by?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jessica

JONeill

Hello! I have two South American Redfoot Tortoises and recently they have developed white lines in between their scutes. One is about 12 and the other is younger but not sure of age. They stay in the back yard which has shade and sun. I live in South Florida so it is very humid right now. I was feeding them twice a day (which included fruits and veggies) but then I was afraid I was over feeding them. Now I feed them just greens (collard greens mostly, but try to mix it up) once a day and fruit or veggies a couple times a week. What could these while lines be caused by?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jessica
Could you post a picture?
I will tomorrow, it is dark now. Sorry guess that would have been helpful. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely they are growth lines, which is nothing to worry about. However, I do believe they might need a better diet. I don't have RF but have seen a lot about them needing protein in their diet. Maybe @allegraf can fill you in on the diet

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
growth lines = rapid growth.. once a week include a form of animal protein - avoid collards more than once a week. just about anything that grows wild in your back yard [ untreated of course ] should be good.

at 12, etc. they don't need to eat more than once every 2 or 3 days!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I am also in South Florida and I feed mine every day once a day especially in the spring and summer months. When it starts to cool down in Sept/Nov, the torts tend to slow down their eating and then I feed every other day. Chances are the white lines are growth lines. I will try to see if any of mine are currently showing and I will take pics. The lines should darken up slowly and match the shell, unless it is marbling. If they don't have any marbling by now, it is likely growth lines. I don't feed collard greens, I feed green leaf/red leaf lettuce, romaine, spring mix. I prefer to give a wide variety. Fruits: papaya, melons of any kind, mushrooms, bananas, mangos, basically whatever is in season in Florida and cheap. Feel free to pm me any questions you may have. I always enjoy talking torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a picture of a very dry shell with white new growth showing between the scutes.

JONeill

growth lines = rapid growth.. once a week include a form of animal protein - avoid collards more than once a week. just about anything that grows wild in your back yard [ untreated of course ] should be good. I recently got pinkies to give the big one's. The pinkies are small in comparison to the torts though; hope it's enough. What are some great plants to plant in the back yard? Thanks for the advice. I want to do the best for them.

at 12, etc. they don't need to eat more than once every 2 or 3 days!

JONeill

That's a picture of a very dry shell with white new growth showing between the scutes.
I wet them down all the time. I do have well water though (no softener). They stay in the back yard. What more can I do?

JONeill

I am also in South Florida and I feed mine every day once a day especially in the spring and summer months. When it starts to cool down in Sept/Nov, the torts tend to slow down their eating and then I feed every other day. Chances are the white lines are growth lines. I will try to see if any of mine are currently showing and I will take pics. The lines should darken up slowly and match the shell, unless it is marbling. If they don't have any marbling by now, it is likely growth lines. I don't feed collard greens, I feed green leaf/red leaf lettuce, romaine, spring mix. I prefer to give a wide variety. Fruits: papaya, melons of any kind, mushrooms, bananas, mangos, basically whatever is in season in Florida and cheap. Feel free to pm me any questions you may have. I always enjoy talking torts.
Thank you so much for the advice. I feed them a lot of kale, and have given them spring mix as well. They just love the collard greens. I layed off the fruits and veggies except a couple times a week because I thought they were growth lines.
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have misters up high on T-posts in my RF and YF enclosures. But your tortoise's shell looks 'dry' not from lack of water, but from lack of moisture coming from inside the tortoise. Maybe it would benefit from an occasional application of olive oil or extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil. But if you go the oil route, be sure to polish it off after allowing it to sit on the shell for about a half hour. You don't want the tortoise to feel sticky, because dirt will adhere to the shell.

JONeill

Most likely they are growth lines, which is nothing to worry about. However, I do believe they might need a better diet. I don't have RF but have seen a lot about them needing protein in their diet. Maybe @allegraf can fill you in on the diet
Thank you so much for your input. I recently got pinkies to feed them.

JONeill

I have misters up high on T-posts in my RF and YF enclosures. But your tortoise's shell looks 'dry' not from lack of water, but from lack of moisture coming from inside the tortoise. Maybe it would benefit from an occasional application of olive oil or extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil. But if you go the oil route, be sure to polish it off after allowing it to sit on the shell for about a half hour. You don't want the tortoise to feel sticky, because dirt will adhere to the shell.
Great tips. I always have water for them but Cecil (the one in the picture ) never seems to want to drink. Celia the other one drinks all the time, although she recently developed the lines as well. I will try the oil.
Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The lines are good. That means the shell is growing.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Looks like new growth to me. Don't worry about it. A bit pyramided but not the end of the world still healthy. How long have you had them? I have two severely pyramided torts that are my favorites due to their personality.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
The white lines are new growth and are actually a good sign! There's lot of diet info on The Tortoise Library website, if you want to read more.

On the picture you shared it looks like the scutes are 'caved in', especially at the back. Could you share some more pictures to verify this?

For humidity you could provide a humid hide, do a search on the forum for many ideas!

Good luck!