Help! Hatchling leopard tortoise not eating!

Shaunessey

Location (City and/or State)
Victoria BC
I’ve had my hatchling for nine days and he hasn’t eaten. We had thought the UVBUVS light was too strong as he kept his eyes closed. Breeder said to keep his hide area ( half of a closed stérilité container) humidity of 99 and temp of 100. And then basking area of about 110 and then cooler areas with ambient temp of 80. Heating pad under his spaghnum moss humid area. ( the closed area) the rest of the stérilité is covered in coarse coir and is dry. After reading extensively I’ve discovered that seems to be way too hot for him. His eyes were swollen and so I started to do many food baths daily for him with warm water baths too along with putting saline on his eyes. He now opens his eyes again and is more active but still not eating. Help!

Attachments

• 1CB274B2-5C44-4118-95FB-A521DDA4CB9C.jpeg
    1CB274B2-5C44-4118-95FB-A521DDA4CB9C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 42789B3D-BFE9-4BB3-BDE7-3DEA847CF6AF.jpeg
    42789B3D-BFE9-4BB3-BDE7-3DEA847CF6AF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 2EF4FC49-A9E8-4AE8-8544-B4EF728406AB.jpeg
    2EF4FC49-A9E8-4AE8-8544-B4EF728406AB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Unfortunately you've gotten terrible advice from the breeder, which also means the breeder probably start the baby in the usual wrong fashion too.

Open topped enclosures cannot hold in the necessary heat and humidity for this species. You need a closed chamber.

What type of UV bulb are you using? Cfl? Those burn their eyes sometimes.

Heating pads should never be used with small tortoises in indoor enclosures. It can over heat them and it goes against their instincts.

Moss should never be used. Its an impaction hazard and it does nothing.

Here is the current and correct care info for you:

Questions are welcome.

Shaunessey

Victoria BC
Hello and welcome. Unfortunately you've gotten terrible advice from the breeder, which also means the breeder probably start the baby in the usual wrong fashion too.

Open topped enclosures cannot hold in the necessary heat and humidity for this species. You need a closed chamber.

What type of UV bulb are you using? Cfl? Those burn their eyes sometimes.

Heating pads should never be used with small tortoises in indoor enclosures. It can over heat them and it goes against their instincts.

Moss should never be used. Its an impaction hazard and it does nothing.

Here is the current and correct care info for you:

Questions are welcome.
So can I use this set up as I have only one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12

Shaunessey

Victoria BC
So can I use this set up as I have only one?
Can I use the heating pads on the top to promote heat from above and use the CHE thru the plastic until I get him stabilized? And if not this then what? I got him from C and C tortoises in western Canada and they r very knowledgeable and suggested this set up albeit with the heating pad on the floor not the ceiling. But I worry that it is just too hot for him. My ambient temp is 80

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I use the heating pads on the top to promote heat from above and use the CHE thru the plastic until I get him stabilized? And if not this then what? I got him from C and C tortoises in western Canada and they r very knowledgeable and suggested this set up albeit with the heating pad on the floor not the ceiling. But I worry that it is just too hot for him. My ambient temp is 80
They are apparently NOT knowledgable about tortoises at all. Read and follow that care sheet. Shallow tubs are not a good way to go, and the CHE won't work well going through plastic. Heat mats shouldn't be used with torts. Its not dangerous when used above, but probably not effective either.

One quick, easy, temporary solution would be to get a green house that you tub will fit inside of. Take the top off, hang the CHE inside, get a basking bulb, and LED, and a UV tube to hang inside, switch to a suitable safe substrate, get a couple of terra cotta saucers to sink into the substrate, and your tortoise might survive.