Help (Hermanns making noise)

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
I need some advice my 8 month old hermann is making a noise which sounds like a walking with wet feet in flip flops like a sqeaking sound and im really concerned , she had been awake for half an hour basking then went to eat after eating she made this noise no other symptoms and is eating and drinking as normal , temps are 19.00 at night and between 23-28 during the day with basking of 36 and she has a 12% uvb light

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your conditions sound good. What is the humidity? Is it an open top or a viv type enclosure? What substrate? Is the substrate dry or damp?

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
Your conditions sound good. What is the humidity? Is it an open top or a viv type enclosure? What substrate? Is the substrate dry or damp?
I took her to the vets and she has the start of a RI so she had an injection of antibiotics and another on friday . I was told just to bath her twice a day and to warm it up more at night as she said 19 at night its to cold , shes in open top but it keeps well humidity always between 60 -80 but at night it rises alot to over 85 as the temperature drops and i have 3 hygro meters in there and its coco coir and its not wet i damp it every day and thats good enough but it seems the temperature here is rising and seems to dry it out more now so i think im going to have to make it enclosed and get a night light perhaps to warm it up at night

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
I took her to the vets and she has the start of a RI so she had an injection of antibiotics and another on friday . I was told just to bath her twice a day and to warm it up more at night as she said 19 at night its to cold , shes in open top but it keeps well humidity always between 60 -80 but at night it rises alot to over 85 as the temperature drops and i have 3 hygro meters in there and its coco coir and its not wet i damp it every day and thats good enough but it seems the temperature here is rising and seems to dry it out more now so i think im going to have to make it enclosed and get a night light perhaps to warm it up at night
I do already give her a bath for 30/45 mins a day

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, don't get a night light. Your tort needs total darkness at night. Get a CHE ( ceramic heat emitter) or a RHP ( radiant heat panel).

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
Welcome, don't get a night light. Your tort needs total darkness at night. Get a CHE ( ceramic heat emitter) or a RHP ( radiant heat panel).
Thank you im going to get one its says i will need a thermostat for it as they get way to hot will i need a dimmer thermostat or can i use one that turns it off when it gets to a certain temperature then back on when it goes below as i already have one which i dont use

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you im going to get one its says i will need a thermostat for it as they get way to hot will i need a dimmer thermostat or can i use one that turns it off when it gets to a certain temperature then back on when it goes below as i already have one which i dont use
That's a bummer about the antibiotics. Vets don't know tortoises. Your tortoise probably didn't need antibiotics. What did they use?

The regular on/off thermostat will work great for this application.

Vivariums work much better for younger tortoise than open tables. Its too hard to keep and open table warm and humid. That is like heating your house with no roof on it in winter.

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
That's a bummer about the antibiotics. Vets don't know tortoises. Your tortoise probably didn't need antibiotics. What did they use?

The regular on/off thermostat will work great for this application.

Vivariums work much better for younger tortoise than open tables. Its too hard to keep and open table warm and humid. That is like heating your house with no roof on it in winter.
Thank you im going to later make it enclosed hopefully but also if the room temp is 19.6 at night this is the lowest it got all night but i woke her up just as the lights came on and took her temp with a temp gun and it was 24 so should i be making it warmer

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like you're not getting a night "light", but rather some sort of night heater without light???

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sounds like you're not getting a night "light", but rather some sort of night heater without light???
In her previous post she said she was thinking about a night light to heat up the enclosure at night. I recommended the CHE or RHP so there would be total darkness.