Help I lost my russian tortoise.

Ramus

5 Year Member
I let him out in the yard along with my redfoot, for him to play and such. I had gone inside for about 20 minutes and when I returned my redfoot was there, but the Russian tortoise was gone. The temperature is going to be in the 60's tonight and it is going to rain tomorrow.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get down on hands and knees and look under all bushes. If you don't find him, look first think when the sun comes out. He will want to warm up. Keep looking, sometimes they don't show for quite some time. BTW, the two should not share the same enclosure.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would get on my hands and knees and look everywhere. He is out there.
Good luck

Ramus

5 Year Member
They aren't kept in the same enclosure I just had them outside at the same time, and when I came back no return. I have put up flyers at the neighborhood clubhouse (it's where out mail is store) and on some poles.

Ramus

5 Year Member
Also I forgot to mention that this was in a fenced off yard but there is a gap large enough for him to pass through.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Good luck and keep us posted. I hope it don't rain to hard tomorrow if you still not able to locate him tonight.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russians are travelers and escape artists as you now know, if there was a gap large enough for him to get out i suspect he did. Flyers will help but they travel far distances I would also suggest craigslist.

Ramus

5 Year Member
Update: I live on a bluff and there is occasionally some hawks that circle by. Is it possible one of them got him? Also I had looked for him around 7 am when the sun had just come up didn't find him and I looked for him again around 4ish.

Last edited:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A chance, but very small. I am betting he is fairly close by and just dug down into the base of a clump of grass or something and has gone into his invisible mode.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Hawks are a possibility but not likely, I still say escapee, but don't give up.

Ramus

5 Year Member
Another thing I am worried about is that someone could've seen him and just taken it as theirs, or set him "free".

Ramus

5 Year Member
Update: Grass was cut today in the front and back and luckily he wasn't ran over, but he still hasn't been found. I combed the yard again found no signs of digging so im certain he got out and there are two possible gaps he could've gone through one leads to my front yard and close to the street and sidewalk, and the other one leads to a neighbors backyard which isn't fenced off. This seems to strengthen my fears that someone found him and took him as their own. May use his old cage to temporarily house my redfoot that is coming tomorrow.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I wouldn't give up hope tortoises have been found many months or years later.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've learned a lesson. You're lucky you didn't lose the RF too. Never ever leave a tortoise out free for any length of time. They can disappear in the blink of an eye.

Ramus

5 Year Member
Update: No luck finding him. At this point I hope someone found him and took him on as their own. I would hate to have him die because of my carelessness.