Help! I need enclosure inspo!!

rsafa

Location (City and/or State)
VA
Hey everyone! I’ve had my russian tortoise for 2 years now and am always updating and changing his enclosure, Are there any recommendations for what to put in his enclosure (substrate, plants, decor, water bowl, etc.) and also food recommendations. He really only eats greens and bell peppers, but i want to introduce something new.

Attachments

• 865D47C7-C7A1-401C-AC72-1431A77C3F78.jpeg
    865D47C7-C7A1-401C-AC72-1431A77C3F78.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First, he needs a low sided clay saucer for a water dish. The kind you have is dangerous, causes flips and possible drowning.
He also needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
A hide and some plants would also be good for him.
Do not use any coil bulbs. You need to get a tube florescent for uvb and a incandescent flood bulb for basking. Ceramic heat emitter for any added heat needed.
Also an outdoor enclosure for the warm months.

rsafa

VA
First, he needs a low sided clay saucer for a water dish. The kind you have is dangerous, causes flips and possible drowning.
He also needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
A hide and some plants would also be good for him.
Do not use any coil bulbs. You need to get a tube florescent for uvb and a incandescent flood bulb for basking. Ceramic heat emitter for any added heat needed.
Also an outdoor enclosure for the warm months.
okay thank you! also do you think it’s better to use actual soil for the substrata

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it's what you dig out of your yard that you know is chemical free, then yes. Otherwise no, any bought, even organic, usually has crap in it that can be dangerous. Coconut coir or orchid/fir bark is best.

rsafa

VA
If it's what you dig out of your yard that you know is chemical free, then yes. Otherwise no, any bought, even organic, usually has crap in it that can be dangerous. Coconut coir or orchid/fir bark is best.
okay thank you, i think i’ll get actual soil from a gardening place or something

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
You don't want "soil" if possible you want Coconut coir or orchid/fir bark. Also bell peppers are not good for him.

Please read this thread:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Your tortoise looks rather dry. Please ensure that his conditions of temperatures and humidity are correct, and that he gets daily warm soaks. His water dish should be changed for one that he does not have to climb into, but can just walk right down into and be in shallow water, and easily step back out of. Also, his diet needs improvement and he should be getting lots of natural weeds and plants that are recommended for Russians.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
okay thank you, i think i’ll get actual soil from a gardening place or something
No, I posted that only the dirt from your own yard, coir or orchid/fir bark is good to use. Not what you can buy, even organic is not good.

rsafa

VA
Your tortoise looks rather dry. Please ensure that his conditions of temperatures and humidity are correct, and that he gets daily warm soaks. His water dish should be changed for one that he does not have to climb into, but can just walk right down into and be in shallow water, and easily step back out of. Also, his diet needs improvement and he should be getting lots of natural weeds and plants that are recommended for Russians.
okay I will 👍also, is it alright to put fake plants in the enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the bark you have on the one end should be all over the whole enclosure, and get rid of that other stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
okay I will 👍also, is it alright to put fake plants in the enclosure?
In most cases, fake plants, and also the moss that people are told to use, will be eaten and can cause impaction.

Please click the link that SinLA left for you and read all of that. There is a care sheet for temperate species at the bottom that will help answer all of your questions and tell you what to feed, what substrate to use, what bulbs etc...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
+1 on the fake plants.
They're too dangerous to risk. But you can use them as decorations in and around the enclosure in areas where they can't get nibbled on.
Just for looks.