Help ID two Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batmandubai

5 Year Member
Thnx Tim & Robin,

Yeps totally impossible since someone dumped him to a pet store staff. I went to get for for our Parrot and saw this little tort looking miserable and convinced the guys that he will have a better home with us, worth a try, and now two weeks later he is eating, drinking and pooing, which he did not do at first. The other two Batman & Rosita live outside but here in Dubai its getting close to 40c so Tiny Tim is inside.

Kind regards
A

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
So cute! :)

I think you have another Ibera there.

Google Ibera hatchlings and have a look at images and you'll see what I mean :)

Batmandubai

5 Year Member
@ Joesmum
I Think you are right! I would be very happy if it indeed is the same breed as the other two!

Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Your little guy should be kept separately from the two you have for the time being. You don't want any germs passing between them.

Greeks don't always tolerate newcomers, or even their existing cohabitants, particularly well when another is introduced... particularly as they start to mature. Look out for bullying and separate if necessary.

The guys are solitary in the wild, meeting up to mate and then moving on. In captivity they get jealous of sharing territory and food regardless of their sex. The loser can end up withdrawing, becoming ill and dieing. If they have lots of space outside with plenty of things to break sight lines, groups can work... however there is always the risk that you may need 3 enclosures long term.

Batmandubai

5 Year Member
Thanks!! At the moment the little one lives in a pot in the kitchen and get sun early in the morning and late afternoon but he digs down and avoids it.. So far we have luckily had no problems with the larger once sharing space, saying that the have a large part of our garden to roam around and they usually burry themselves one opposite sides, so rarely I find them together.

Anyway will keep you posted on the grown of Tiny Tim :)

@Tim/Robin
I found the thread from last year with pics of your T. graeca buxtoni hatchlings and yes, our looks exactly like the once you have posted. How do they differ from the Iberia, do you know? I will do some read up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.