Help identify old boy

Mgb2010

Location (City and/or State)
Shetland
Hello,
Please could you help identify this tortoise?
It has been with my wife’s grandmother for 65 years and is believed to have been 10-15 years old when she originally got it.
The old boy is fit and active, but unfortunately Gran is now starting to struggle. Before committing to ‘inheriting’ him; we’d like to know more about his breed and keeping him.
First point of call is to identify him!
Thanks

Attachments

• 3D964AE1-2A9C-4301-BB15-63E5CDF4B741.jpeg
    3D964AE1-2A9C-4301-BB15-63E5CDF4B741.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 428CEB4E-5ADB-4D81-8B18-D6FA44E2CA41.jpeg
    428CEB4E-5ADB-4D81-8B18-D6FA44E2CA41.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 55

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have a nice garden and can set him up similarly to Gran's, by all means, TAKE HIM!! I'm not sure, but I think he's a Hermanns, but I'll send a shout out to someone who can tell you for sure @TeamZissou

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Wow that’s an old looking tort! Do you know how old he is?

I believe this is an eastern Hermanns, based on the shape of the head. Some photos of the plastron (bottom of the shell) would help.

Mgb2010

Shetland
The old boy is at least 75.
Gran’s son was 5 years old when they got the tortoise and he is now 70. So 65 years with gran (who is in her 90s!). The tortoise was a good size when they originally got him, so he must have been 10 years old before they got him....making 75 years.
The tortoise has lived in Gran’s garden this whole time. He is really friendly and loves people.

We live a long way away (in the Scottish Islands) and are worried about the temperature/climate difference. After all these years of living free in the garden, we don’t want to keep him indoors (although we do have some small agricultural sheds if needed - something like 10ft x 40ft usable space).
I’m thinking to give him a heated house in the garden, so he can come and go as he likes. Something like a 3ft x 3ft box with a small heat lamp and a sheltered opening?

Then bring him in to the shed to hibernate.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Wow lovely to see this old timer, please share some more pics and this care sheet may give you some care ideas and requirements. Well done Gran for long time care :):tort:

Just to add... there are many posts on outside enclosure building so have a search and ask questions.