Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mintus:

Welcome to the forum!!

Yeah, we get that all the time, however, we LOVE it!!! Most of us just love to try to guess, but you're going to get your best answer from a guy named EgyptianDan (Danny).

I'm not that familiar with the Mediterranean tortoises, so to me he looks like a Greek or a Hermanns. But you'll know soon. Someone will give you the good scoop!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Aww so glad you rescued him/her. This seems to becoming a problem lately, either people are dumping torts out or a lot of escapes. I wish people would not dump these beautiful creatures out to fend for themselves. But it makes me so happy when people like you take in lost homeless torts :) Bless you :) :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome to the forum...looks like a Hermanns to me, but Danny is the actual go to guy for ID's. Have you tried to find his keeper? He's probably somebodies escaped pet and they would be really grateful to have someone take good care of him and look for them...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have found a Hermanns tortoise, Testudo hermanni. Your going to have to post bottom of the shell (plastron) pictures for me to tell subspecies. :D

Danny

Mintus

5 Year Member
Yeah we reported a lost tortoise to the police and went to a number of vets to see if anyone had lost him (well, I say we, it was some family friends who found them and gave him to us because we used to have a tortoise 18 years or so ago. I'm 18 so I dont remember it but we lost that one because it either got out or was stolen by builders building an extension for the house. Don't know what happened to Toby :( ) but well the tortoise we have right now was found 2 weeks ago. We're going to wait another 2 weeks to see if an owner turns up. If a month goes by I think we can be safe to say the former owner doesnt care for it, then we can get better living quarters for him.

Thanks for all the suggestions on species. Hopefully it will be helpful in orientating an appropriate diet and housing.
And can you give me suggestions on what the best way to take picture of the belly of the tortoise. Do I want to hold him up and take a picture from below or turn him over on the ground?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its quite alright to lay him gently on his back for the picture. A few minutes in that position won't harm him. Just be kind and gentle.

Mintus

5 Year Member
Well, Ive looked at his plastron and it has two fade bands which are not continuous, that means he's an Eastern Race Hermann's Tortoise doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.