Help identifying some common weeds

veromclane

Hello!
I'm very new to the forum. I am a little concerned that my tortoise might have eaten toxic flowers. I read one of the posts that say that "Prickly sow thistle" are edible. (So helpful to have the photos!) but I am still not sure. There are tons of this plant around my house and school, and my tortoise Timbi went crazy eating the yellow flowers. I'm not sure how to differentiate between the thistle and the dandelion. I read somewhere else that the thistle is a want-to-be dandelion that is very toxic.

I'm very confused. Please help!
This plant is tall and looks fussy/maybe prickly all over. The flower looks flatter than the pictures I saw of Dandelions. But not sure if these are okay to eat. Would you say that these are Prickly sow thistle and that these are okay for my Russian turtoise to eat?20160425_150829.jpg 20160425_151739.jpg 20160425_151745.jpg 20160425_153043.jpg

Meeelinda

Does the prickly hurt the tortoise? I found a lot of these on a trail by my complex.

Meeelinda

k Thank you i wanted to pick them but felt the prickly so decided to wait till i bring scissors.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I do not think the first three pictures are sow thistle. I believe they are bristly ox tongue. Here are some examples. They can appear bright green to a bit gray green.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ox tongue is a safe food but my tortoise won't eat it. :(

The last photo looks like sow thistle. Both grow like weeds around here!