Help identifying this tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mselayan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UAE
Hello Everyone!
I just got a tortoise and I decided to subscribe to this forum to help me take care of it :)
Before anything I want to identify the type of this tortoise which I believe will help much. Any idea?

f4trZwbwhL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like it might be a hermann's or a Greek.

mselayan

5 Year Member
UAE
Yvonne G said:
Looks like it might be a hermann's or a Greek.

Thank you but I need to be sure about that so I know what to feed it and what to not!

+ I can't see the image I linked when I view my post.. Do you really see it?

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
One, welcome to the forum. You'll love it. There is a huge wealth of knowledge. Two, I can't see the pic :/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

mselayan

5 Year Member
UAE
FLINTUS said:
We really need proper closer up pics, and a plastron shot but my mind is thinking THB at the moment.

Here are some close up pics. I hope they help :) BTW what is plastron?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    460.8 KB · Views: 82
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 79
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    468.2 KB · Views: 84

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Plastron is the shell on the underside of the tortoise.

mselayan

5 Year Member
UAE
FLINTUS said:
I agree with GBtortoises, I think that is an ibera.

Thank you.. Can you tell the gender yet?
Also it hasn't been active since I brought it.. unlike how it was when I picked it at the shop. Could that be due to the new environment?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's too young to be able to determine gender. Often with most of the Graeca subspecies it's difficult to tell for sure until they reach around 4.5-5".
It's inactivity may very well be due the change in environment. Tortoises establish (and live by) a routine based on their environment (temperatures, light, humidity) and their familiarity with their surroundings. When taken from a familiar situation to a new one it will often takes several days, even weeks for a tortoise to become secure enough to begin exploring and familiarizing itself with it's new surroundings.
During this time is it especially important to ensure that your tortoise remains well hydrated, in the correct temperatures and is not being kept too dry. Offer fresh food daily (preferably in the early morning) and handle the tortoise as little as absolutely necessary. Give it the time it needs to come out and explore on it's own.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
mselayan said:
FLINTUS said:
I agree with GBtortoises, I think that is an ibera.

Thank you.. Can you tell the gender yet?
Also it hasn't been active since I brought it.. unlike how it was when I picked it at the shop. Could that be due to the new environment?

GB is right, both about the difficulty of accurately sexing just yet and the need to keep it well hydrated. I always, after aquiring a new tortoise, soak it daily, in water about half as deep as the top of the shell is tall, in luke-warm water, for about a 1/2 hours. Tortoises are frequently dehydrated by the time they reach the petshop, so this vastly improves it's chances of surviving in captivity.

Also, for some reason, the color red makes tortoises want to eat, so when you offer it food daily, a few carrot slivers mixed into it's spring mix/salad/greens can help get it to eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mselayan said:
+ I can't see the image I linked when I view my post.. Do you really see it?

If you right click on the picture symbol it opens in a new tab.

mselayan

5 Year Member
UAE
Thank you all!
That was really helpful :)
Today it started acting more normal. It's active but not eating really well. I'm offering a variety of greens and a daily bath! Let's hope this works..

I found out while searching that olive oil is very good for the shell as well as the skin. Shall I use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.