Help Idk if my baby tort is eating or not

TankTheHermann

Everyday I change the food but idk if my torts been eating. How do I know if my torts been eating or not

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Best way to know for sure is to keep monitoring his weight. Once a month or twice a month should be good.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
If you're feeding greens, the cut the greens into perfect squares and then just look for uneven edges.

Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put down the food at the feeding station, place the tortoise in front of the food then quickly step out of his sight.

TankTheHermann

Thank you and I keep seeing him eating a bit of the substrate and I've changed from aspen to 50sand and 50topsoil mixture and my tort still eats the substrate what should I do and my tort just nibble on the substrate from time to time and is there any affect from my tort eating the substrate

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thank you and I keep seeing him eating a bit of the substrate and I've changed from aspen to 50sand and 50topsoil mixture and my tort still eats the substrate what should I do and my tort just nibble on the substrate from time to time and is there any affect from my tort eating the substrate
I'd change out the substrate. Sand can cause impaction. Use just straight topsoil, packed down. Feed your tort on a piece of slate or terracotta plate to keep he food free of debris.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES