Help is she sick??

Status
Not open for further replies.

isienko83

5 Year Member
Hi all, This year in Febuary we got a very young (2-3 months old) very small, timid and fragile tortoise, she is either a Herman or spur tigh but to small to know for sure. When we got her she weighed 26.9g and now she is 32.8g. We keep her in a wooden terrarium 40in by 15in she has a UV light and a basking lamp, and we keep this around 26-28deg C. We change her matt weekley and her food and water daily. We feed her a mixture of Carrot, Cabbage, Mange Tout, Runner beans, Cauliflower, Lettuce leaves. So far we have followed every instruction that the sales man gave us and fed her only things which we were reccomended to. The reason for my post is because recently she has been far less active and has started to cough up some kind of white paste, i'm very concerned that something is wrong with her and don't know what to do next. Can you help me please.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
hang in there, folks will be addressing your situation, I am too new to give advice, but can tell you that you will be asked many questions and to post pics. Hang in there!
The people on here are great , dont hesitate to ask anything!
Welcome to the forum! You'll get help!

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
If my 3rd grade conversion skills are still correct 26-28 degrees Celsius is approximately 80-82 degrees Fahrenheit. My limited experience with Hermann's Tortoise has always been a suggested basking spot in the high 90's Fahrenheit. So 35 degrees Celsius. Sulcatas I would shoot for 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit, or 38-43 degrees Celsius.

That would be the first issue is that your temperatures are far too cool.

The second issue is.. which one is it? Hermann's or Sulcata? As Marta suggested, post a picture and we'll be happy to let you know which one it is!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have never heard of a tort coughing up a white paste, I have to ask are you sure you saw it cough it up, it sounds almost like urates to me. as for the diet that is not a good diet for either a spur thigh or hermanns. that diet would be more suitable for a box turtle or red foot tortoise. you should be feeding it mainly weeds and leaves ad flowers of plants, I am sure a hermanns keeper will give you a more better diet for it. welcome to the forum and I hope you can figure out what is wrong.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Josh: Quite a few folks refer to Greek tortoises as "spur thigh."

Hi Isienko83:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

I'm going to go along with what dmmj said about the white stuff. If you didn't actually see it coming out of the tortoise's mouth, it is more than likely urates (which come out of the tail). And its perfectly normal.

Raise your temperatures like J. Ellis suggested and change the diet like dmmj suggested and see if that doesn't make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.