Help! Less interested in food

EvaRose

5 Year Member
My two little Iberas, who are 9months old, are normally so excited at dinner time! They don't stop eating until everything is gone.. pushing each other out of the way in order to grab the last bit of food!

But in the last few days food no longer seems to be that interesting to them :( yesterday they left over half of their dinner, and took themselves to bed. (However after bath time they did eat the remaining leaves)
Today, Botsworth, who is normally a very enthusiastic and fast eater, has abandoned eating and seems more interesting in basking.

I'm worried about their change in behaviour... Is this normal or is it an indication that something is wrong?

Normally each day they both eat a little more than their own shell size in fresh leaves and weeds from the garden.

Also.... I have attached a picture of a pile of tiny creamy/white stuff that I noticed in their home today. It looks like it could be dried urates? Although there is a lot of it... So not sure that it is?

Can anyone please help? Would be so grateful!! Thank you very much and hope that everyone else's tortoises are happy and well :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1394822138.939363.jpg

Just thought.. For the past few days I have turned their lamp off for a few hours during the day when I have gone out. (because they have tipped over so many times and I've being getting worried that the lamp will cook them!)
Could this mean that they are colder and so less hungry? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
The pee pee is normal =) So nothing to worry about there... but the food consumption, what is your temp like? night, day and basking? The reason why they probably slowed down is because the temperature dropped.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have turned their lamp off for a few hours during the day when I have gone out. (because they have tipped over so many times and I've being getting worried that the lamp will cook them!)
Could this mean that they are colder and so less hungry?

Yes, absolutely makes a difference. Unless your entire house and this includes their enclosure remains at 95 ish then when you shut down their source of heat to thermoregulate, then yes---it will affect their appetite, digestion and enthusiasm .....

The urates are okay, I would be concerned with the urates if they are gritty....also, if you offer soaks I would do that each and every day--if you don't--I would suggest you do them each and every day until the urates begin to lessen and eventually not occur on a regular basis...

EvaRose

5 Year Member
The temperature of the house (day and night) is about 70-75 F.
When the lamp is on, the temperature is about 95-105 F.
So is it best to leave their lamp on all day, even if no one is at home to check that they haven't fallen onto their backs?
Thank you for your help! :)

And yep I bathe them everyday for at least 10 minutes :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes, they need their 95F basking spot on all day.

If you are worried about them flipping, try to remove any flip hazards or add lots of foliage to help then right themselves. I've had good luck using the plants and moss.

EvaRose

5 Year Member
Okay I shall leave the lamp on all day! Is there a chance that it can get too hot for them... Is 110F too hot? Or will they just move away from their basking area to cool down?

Also, what plants do you recommend to help them right themselves?
With the lamp on all day I'm worried that they'll try to eat any plant that's in there as they try to bite anything that seems to have a bright colour!
So are there any plants that they won't try to eat?

Also I have attached a picture of some rocks that I have in their home... Are they too big/ too hazardous in terms of them flipping off them? Thank you!! ImageUploadedByTortForum1394903630.873679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: