PLEASE HELP!! Hibernation Query!

EvaRose

5 Year Member
Hi there everyone,

I have two lovely Testudo Graeca Iberas - Botsworth and Hoardsley. We live in the UK and its just started to get cold - this will be the girls' fourth winter.

In the last week or so, Botsworth and Hoardsley (who live in separate enclosures due to Botsworth repeatedly ramming Hoardsley who is much smaller a couple of years back) started to stay in bed later and later each morning. I turn their lamp on in the morning, and they usually come out in good time and have a quick bask before looking around for food. In the last few days, they haven't even come out of bed AT ALL! They are so so sleepy and I have to get them out of bed and put them under their lamps to help them warm up. They can barely open their eyes and have to be fed by hand. When they do eat, it is much less than before. They are significantly less active.

Usually the girls are slightly slower, more sleepy, and generally eat less in the winter. But this winter I am really worried! Are their bodies telling them to hibernate? I have real reservations about hibernating them as my mums tortoise once starved to death when he woke up too early :( I have heard so many horror stories and I am just not sure what to do.

I also noticed today, when feeding Botsworth by hand, that his mouth was white on the inside before he started eating. But once he had eaten, his mouth/tongue looked pink, with a normal healthy appearance once again. Is this something to worry about? and is it associated with the hibernation issue?

At the moment I am trying to get the girls out of bed and under their lamp, before feeding them by hand, at least once a day. Will this be sufficient to get them through a winter!? or do I really need to help them to hibernate?

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate any advise/help, as I am really worried and just want to do whats best.

Thanks so so much in advance,
A worried mum xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Because it seems like their bodies are telling them to hibernate, I would quit feeding them or waking them up and allow them to stay in their hiding places for two weeks. Don't turn on the lights and don't disturb them. Then after two weeks, turn on the lights in the a.m. and off at night. Get them out and offer a warm soak. Bring them out every morning and place them in front of the food.

This short 2 week vacation might be all that is needed to fool them into thinking Spring has arrived and it's time to get active again.

Spring means the lights stay on for 14 hours a day.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Don't worry, you'll get the help you need here.

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as threads on "Hibernation."

Any pics of your torts, @EvaRose ?

EvaRose

5 Year Member
Because it seems like their bodies are telling them to hibernate, I would quit feeding them or waking them up and allow them to stay in their hiding places for two weeks. Don't turn on the lights and don't disturb them. Then after two weeks, turn on the lights in the a.m. and off at night. Get them out and offer a warm soak. Bring them out every morning and place them in front of the food.

This short 2 week vacation might be all that is needed to fool them into thinking Spring has arrived and it's time to get active again.

Spring means the lights stay on for 14 hours a day.

Thank you so much for your reply!

So would that two week period be like a mini-hibernation? Would I need to fast them before hand? And how likely is it that they'll be fooled into thinking its spring when they awaken?

I am beginning to think that I should begin to fast them for 4 weeks before hibernating them properly. In these 4 weeks I will carry on giving them daily baths and access to the their lamps. Does this sound okay?

Thank you

EvaRose

5 Year Member
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Don't worry, you'll get the help you need here.

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as threads on "Hibernation."

Any pics of your torts, @EvaRose ?

Thank you, I will be sure to read that.
Here is a picture of my beautiful girls in the bath -
IMG_4951.JPG