Help me diversify tortoise's diet?

camelotsace

5 Year Member
Hello and thanks for reading

I have a young Hermann's and I have had trouble identifying plants in my area so I have been sticking to produce from the health food store. Collard Greens don't seem to get much attention, but baby Bok Choy has been very successful. Unfortunately that is almost the tortoise's entire diet at this point. That, and some dandelion greens on occasion.

What other things from the health food produce might make a good meal? Turnip greens? Radish greens? Any suggestions would be helpful!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Help me diversify?

More dandelions, endive, mustard, collards, just too name a few. Also, you can check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for more safe ideas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Take a look in the packaged salad section of the produce department in your grocery store. There are a couple different things that are good for your tortoise. I don't know what they sell in your area, so you'll just have to wing it, but here in my area I choose from Spring Mix (a mixture of several different kinds of baby lettuces) and Santa Barbara Mix (endive, escarole and raddiccio). I mostly use the Santa Barbara Mix and to that I'll add edible weeds and grasses from outside.

camelotsace

5 Year Member

Yvonne G said:
Take a look in the packaged salad section of the produce department in your grocery store. There are a couple different things that are good for your tortoise. I don't know what they sell in your area, so you'll just have to wing it, but here in my area I choose from Spring Mix (a mixture of several different kinds of baby lettuces) and Santa Barbara Mix (endive, escarole and raddiccio). I mostly use the Santa Barbara Mix and to that I'll add edible weeds and grasses from outside.

Don't those have spinach and other "bad" leafs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spring Mix contains spinach, but its not a 'bad' green to feed, it just shouldn't be fed in extreme. If your package of Spring Mix contains too many spinach leaves you can just pick them out and eat them yourself.