Help me identify my tortoises?

LuckyAndLady

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hi! I just joined this forum, even though I have had my tortoises for over 10 years now. Both tortoises came from pet stores, but at different times. I had the male (Lucky) first for 2 years, then decided to get another one. I had separate enclosures, in case they didn't get along, but luckily they are very bonded, and even sleep snuggled up to each other every night :) Anyways... At the pet store, both tortoises were listed as Russian Tortoises, but they look very different in my opinion. Of course I've done a ton of my own research, but I thought it would be a good idea to get your guys' opinions. Also I should note that Lucky is the male, and Lady is the female. Lucky has the more dome-like shell, whereas Lady has the "pancake" looking shell that flares out at the sides.

20151007_114324.jpg 20151007_114601.jpg 20151007_113929.jpg 20151007_114007.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am not very good at this, but think they are both Russians. The snuggling is probably bullying, and causing stress for them. Welcome to the forum.

LuckyAndLady

Illinois
That's interesting that you said that about bullying. They have a big indoor tank, and a very large outdoor pen, but still choose to sleep next to each other. I've never seen them bite or act violent/mean to each other. I would think that if one wasn't happy, it would choose somewhere else to sleep. At least, that is how humans are lol.

Interested to see others replies about what kind of torts they think they are :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
You have a Russian (Lady) and a Greek (Lucky). It is good that you doubted the labeling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Baoh. Russian and Greek.

Ordinarily I'm not a proponent of mixing species, however, since your two have been living together for a while and neither seems to be getting sick, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. But it is something to keep in the back of your mind (mixing species sometimes causes illness in one or the other).

LuckyAndLady

Illinois
Hi! I agree with Lucky being a Greek tortoise, and Lady being a Russian tortoise. I've had Lucky for 12 years, and Lady for 10 years :) I wanted two tortoises of the same species so it's kind of disappointing that the pet store was wrong when they said both were Russians, but I am not at all surprised. Of course I love them both but I actually prefer the Greek tortoise. He's much friendlier towards me. Do you think that since they've been together for 10 years already that they're in the clear as far as sickness goes? Thanks for all responses, you guys are so kind :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about them being together at this stage.