Help me pick out a new water dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
If you didn't know I changed pucks old enclosure from a tank, to a much bigger bookshelf but problem is. His water bowl is one of those big hefty ramp bowls. He loves laying in it, I would too. But it's time for a change I found this dish I liked cause it looked small, but shallow enough so that his soil whont get in.
http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsma...2752586&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No#un_searchblur
As long as its small I would appreciate some links, and suggestions on purchasing a new dish. Thanks!
This is his current bowl, notice how much space it takes?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45

Flash2013

5 Year Member
Hello
I use a large terracotta pot bottom for my Flash's soaking "station" Indoors. He does get substrate in it and will relieve himself as well but it has been the most safe route for us and I clean daily if not twice daily. I have one similar to yours in Flash's outdoor play station. I have placed large pebbles and moss all around it so it is safe and easy for him to get in and out of. Please share if you come up with new suggestions. Good luck. [GREEN HEART][TURTLE]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1372380021.566050.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1372380021.566050.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 30

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad your getting rid of the ramp bowl, they are dangerous. Members know of torts that have drowned in them. The saucers that goes under flower pots is the best, like mentioned above.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yep, simple terra cotta saucer is the best in my opinion. They come in all sizes at the nursery and the slightly rough surface works well for nail trimming and they do not fall backwards/flip over like more slick surfaces can cause them to do.

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, the plant saucer is definitely on the list. Will the water bowl I showed in the link bad?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Puckles🐢 said:
Thanks everyone, the plant saucer is definitely on the list. Will the water bowl I showed in the link bad?

I wouldn't waist your money on it. U fortunately, most things pet stores sell isn't really that good. Get a plant pot saucer. Usually cheaper and better suited for the purpose. You can even get the plastic ones if you want a lighter one then the clay.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Puckles[TURTLE] said:

Those aren't designed with tortoises in mind. I would not feel safe using it for a tortoise.mine loves the terra cotta dish. Easy to stick its head in and drink and easy to climb in to soak.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with everyone above. The pet store dish is the wrong dimensions for a tortoise. You need something wide, shallow, low sided and rough textured for traction. Nothing works better than terra cotta plant saucers.

Status
Not open for further replies.