Can I keep a Hermanns tortoise in the " Zilla Deluxe Snake Kit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norris

5 Year Member
Hello I was wondering if i could keep a Hermanns tortoise in the " Zilla Deluxe Snake Kit" For most of the year for him/her. Its demensions are 14.5"L x 32"W x 14.75"H .
its aproximatly 29.63 gallons. It comes with a water bowl, 2 dome light fixtures for heat and light, a temperature/humidity gauge, and douglas Fir bedding.

heres the link:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4070849&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Also do you guys know any where i could get a fish tank, or a habitat for cheaper, and some links.
:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Norris, and welcome to the Forum!!

You probably could, however, you can get by much cheaper by using a very large plastic tub. I really, really (I mean I REALLY) like the Christmas Tree Storage bin made by Iris. They should be coming on sale soon and if not, you can buy them online for around $40.

Here's one I set up for some babies. Its about 4' long:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-22403.html#axzz2Cc7s7S7b

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I agree, there are MUCH cheaper alternatives! While there's nothing wrong with the kit you've pointed out, there's no need to pay Petsmart's crazy prices!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
The Deluxe Snake kit from Zilla is only 20 gallons... That is not big enough for even a baby tortoise, really. You don't have enough room to regulate temperatures.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Norris - read up a little more before diving into anything. That's a lot of money to spend on something that won't really last you that long. The size of the enclosure in inadequate and the components are not really anything brag about. Douglass fir bedding will just end up going in the trash so that's a waste already.

I'll admit that a rubbermaid container or something similar posted above is not really the most aesthetically appealing enclosure but they are very affordable and functional. I'd strongly consider one.

Generic price list for you to go by:

Enclosure ~20
Dome lights from walmart or hardware store ~15 a piece, you will need two
Mercury vapor bulb (amazon has best prices from what i've seen) ~40
Ceramic heat emitter (for maintaining nighttime temps) ~20
Digital thermometer/hygromemter from walmart or hardware store ~20
Bedding (cocunut coir 3 pack) ~10
Dishes (buy the bases to planter pots, available at walmart) ~5

That's a total of 130 or so. Those prices are approximately what I paid for my set up. I also have a humidifer that I paid 30 for at walmart which you may or may not need. If you bought the kit above that you're considering you would spend 135 for the kit, 9 for new bedding and an additional 60 or so on lights and it would still be insufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.