Help, my Adult Male doesnt want to eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Hello guys,

i recently acquired a Pair of Adult RF (11" each) the female had shell rot all over her plastron which im taking are of ( btw if the plastron where it had the shell rot is kind of pinkish is this new growth? it wasn't this color before i started using anti fungus cream) and the female eats lots, she will eat mazuri, fruits, vegetables, boiled eggs you name it, but the male which by the way looks entirely healthy doesn't want to eat anything, no mazury, no vegetables no fruits, nothing, it has been 4 days and he hasn't eaten o and he barely moves around, he has been in the same spot the entire 4 days, i have moved him from the spot and after a while of just sitting where i moved him he slowly goes back to his corner.

is there something i can do to stimulate his appetite?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You have had them a very short time and tortoises can take an age to relax and start behaving normally when faced with new surroundings. I'm talking weeks, not days.

Make sure he gets a daily 20 minute soak in luke warm water to keep him hydrated... he'll be fine without food, if otherwise healthy, but not water. They often poop and wee in bath water and this stimulates eating too. Added to that your tort will get to know that you are friend not foe.

Try and establish a regular morning routine, so that they know when to expect food. Something like: Lights, heat, soak, breakfast

The routine will help your torts to relax into their new environment and hopefully all will be well quite quickly.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Did you check with the prior care giver and see what they offered them as food source? Perhaps if you know what the ate you can be sure to offer some of that along with what you are wanting him to eat?

Also, time is key to some tortoise...even though they are both the same species of tortoise they are individuals in their personalities.

I agree with JoesMum, give em time....and be sure to soak them each day but don't over handle them, especially the male...give em time.

What are your enclosure conditions? Hiding spots, humidity, warmth and soaking dishes?? :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know my RF can't resist mazuri or hibiscus flowers. It does sound like a case of readjustment.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
ascott said:
Did you check with the prior care giver and see what they offered them as food source? Perhaps if you know what the ate you can be sure to offer some of that along with what you are wanting him to eat?

Also, time is key to some tortoise...even though they are both the same species of tortoise they are individuals in their personalities.

I agree with JoesMum, give em time....and be sure to soak them each day but don't over handle them, especially the male...give em time.

What are your enclosure conditions? Hiding spots, humidity, warmth and soaking dishes?? :D
i called the previous owner... didnt like what he fed him, he told me he would feed him mostly dry dog food mixes with some water, and fruits.. asked him what fruits and he told me that where he had him there is a mango tree so he ate al the mango he wanted from the fallen fruit and ocasionally gave him strawberries.

i tried with the mango and the strawberry and nothing...

as for his enclosure well its under heavy rain... so im keeping him inside until the weather lets go, he is in a 8' x 4' x 18" box, with 6" of cypress, spahgnum and organic soil. i let them out to roam free inside the house everyday when i get back from home so they can stretch a bit, the female just smashes through evrything lol shes like a mini tank the male just sits there inside his shell and does absolutly nothing the entire time... sometimes he just pokes his head out to see what the female is doing and then he goes back inside... im worried.... ive never had a tortoise act like this... my little RF are the most gluttonous beings in the world and are pro explorers hahaha and my leopard are constantly plotting how to escape their enclosure LOL. as for the hide i have covered 1/3 of the enclosure so thats where he "hangs" all the time when he is inside.

ill see if i can find the battery charger of my camera and take some pics so you guys can see them.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'd cut your loses and take it to a vet if you can. You mentioned some pink on the plastron, this could just be from the shell rot, but it could also be an early sign of septicemia. Don't go panicking yet, I haven't seen pictures and I'm not a vet, but I'd bring that guy in for a check. This is just my two cents, I agree with dmmj.

No doubt time and patience are warranted, and I'm not an expert by any means, but if he's not coming out at all for 4-7 days straight, that seems concerning (to me). If nothing else, it could put you at ease if the vet says things look okay, but he's just really shook. There's a list of vets here on the forum, if you haven't seen this already.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Redstrike said:
I'd cut your loses and take it to a vet if you can. You mentioned some pink on the plastron, this could just be from the shell rot, but it could also be an early sign of septicemia. Don't go panicking yet, I haven't seen pictures and I'm not a vet, but I'd bring that guy in for a check. This is just my two cents, I agree with dmmj.

No doubt time and patience are warranted, and I'm not an expert by any means, but if he's not coming out at all for 4-7 days straight, that seems concerning (to me). If nothing else, it could put you at ease if the vet says things look okay, but he's just really shook. There's a list of vets here on the forum, if you haven't seen this already.
the one that has the pink spots is the female,shes all good except. for her pink spots where the shallot was, I have seen the list but there are none for Puerto Rico, I'll start looking for vets that accept reptiles (here in Puerto Rico most vets only attend dogs and cats)
I'm buying mango tomorrow again so if he doesn't eat tomorrow I'll take him to the vet on monday

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Is the pinkness spreading or darkening? Is it fading? If it is just a stain, then there is no reason to panic but if it is getting worse, even by a little bit, then a vet is a good idea.

How long have you had the male? It often takes them a week or two to get comfortable in a new place. If he is pretty heavy for his size and his eyes look good, I would not worry much yet. Soak him a few times, and consider letting it run around outside if it is warm even if it is raining- rain often stimulates red-footeds to eat.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And meanwhile you could try the baby food soaks. Half a jar of strained carrots in a small container of warm water. (don't let the water cool off). Certainly won't hurt.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
My largest Male Bubba (7.5")male purchased at Petco also refused to eat .After 3 weeks & noticeable weight loss i took him back to Petco .
They took him to Vet &checked for Parasites(nothing).
Told me they wanted to keep him 2 more weeks to observe & send for follow up Vet visit ,
Did this & everything OK healty tortoise???
Well after 3 weeks i purchased him back from Petco .
He is 1 greedy eating machine .
1 YR later he is now Just under 9"scl and smoothest shell growth i ever seen in a redfoot fro Petco .
Here is a shot of Bubba

I have to agree with the previous posters .
Just give him time to settle in .
Some males as stubborn this way as i have learned with Bubba .

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
81SHOVELHEAD said:
My largest Male Bubba (7.5")male purchased at Petco also refused to eat .After 3 weeks & noticeable weight loss i took him back to Petco .
Told me they wanted to keep him 2 more weeks to observe & send for follow up Vet visit ,
1 YR later he is now Just under 9"scl and smoothest shell growth i ever seen in a redfoot fro Petco .
Here is a shot of Bubba

Wow nice recovery!!! i hope torko ( he now has a name woot ) makes progress... tried feeding him mango today, he didnt care... the other red foots enjoyed them to the last bit, but at least something came out good! he started moving!!! not much but moved arround a bit i would se he walked a total of 10foot in a 1 hour span, i know its not much but its better than nothing, he did staterted making noise with his trhoat like when ppl get an itch in ther thoath and try to scratch it making noise? dunno if you follow lol but yeah and at one point he discharged mucus from one of the nostrils... id he was a human i would say he has a cold..

here is torkol ( one above) and terra ( shes the one at the bottom )
i8PY0.jpg

terra kept poking him lol and "kissing" his face hahaha he didnt like it

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
viperdrake said:
81SHOVELHEAD said:
Here is a shot of Bubba

Wow nice recovery!!! i hope torko ( he now has a name woot ) makes progress... tried feeding him mango today, he didnt care... the other red foots enjoyed them to the last bit, but at least something came out good! he started moving!!! not much but moved arround a bit i would se he walked a total of 10foot in a 1 hour span, i know its not much but its better than nothing, he did staterted making noise with his trhoat like when ppl get an itch in ther thoath and try to scratch it making noise? dunno if you follow lol but yeah and at one point he discharged mucus from one of the nostrils... id he was a human i would say he has a cold..

here is torkol ( one above) and terra ( shes the one at the bottom )
i8PY0.jpg

terra kept poking him lol and "kissing" his face hahaha he didnt like it

Are you sure it was mucus & not water? looks like you just soaked them and my torts stick their heads underwater to drink?
Also to get him started & maybe get his appetite back you may purchase a small bag of purina pro plan weight management cat food
&try feed a little of this moistened.
its ok to feed this to torts once a week .my 2 males were slow to come around after first purchase but they gobbled up the cat food .
once they figured out i was not their enemy & their food source they gain trust & have not slowed down .
I hope Torko gets to feeling better but i still think he needs more time to adjust to his new home .
Keep us posted on progress.
Mike D.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Torko woke up this morning without being able to open his left eye and it was covered in gunk, his throat noises became more frequent.. im not taking any chances, today he goes to the vet, ill post afterwards his diagnosis. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.