HELP my hatchling

mandie

Hello. I have what I believe is an Eastern box hatchling. We have had what I believe to be a her for 3 weeks. I have never had a tortoise before and learning still but she was clipped by a mower and no serious damage done but her soft little shell has a small split on the side(Did not penetrate). I have a 20L critter cage with sand, zoo med eco earth, zoo med spagnum and live moss substraight. Wading dish with water replaced every 2 days with declorinated (beta safe drops) or spring water but dish not sanitaized. Zilla mini dome halogen basking with 50w day blue mini hal bulb. Mini flukers sun dome with zoo med 5.0 uvb tropical compact fluorescent bulb. Eats mainly meal worms coated in flukers calcium w/ D3 powder. Also eats crickets and earth worms, sometimes a feeder fish, some banana if meal worms mixed in. Have offered but doesnt really like nature zone Bites, repashy superfood, spinach, dandelion, organic apple, watermelon, cantelope, strawberry, celery, grape, blueberry, & broccoli but she mainly sticks to the live food. I mist 2-3 times per day usually, at least once for sure. Soak every other day and let water heat under basking light before soaking. She seems to really just burrow even after I removed her half log hiddy (worried she wasnt getting enough uvb). when she gets wet, the outline of creases of her shell scutes seem to "puff" or swell. Appetite is good other than being picky eater, moves good (hunts crickets). No visible parasites in stool (since wild caught will be giving paracur at 3 month just to be safe). Im just not sure if she is okay or if I'm taking care of her right. Any and all comments or advice is greatly appreciate!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
First, get rid of the compact fluorescent bulb as they can damage the eyes. Also, the critter cage may not be the best fit for what you need.
Welcome. Very soon others with much more box turtle experience will be along. You'd only see worms in the stool if they were killed by the Panacur. The stage that passes in the stool are the eggs, only. Tortoises have a few parasites and most live nice long lives with them.
If you DO see worms in the poo, then there is a very heavy parasite load. That would be unusual, but I have seen it recently in a very ill tortoise of mine.
For the most part it sounds like you've done this before. Nice job.

Last edited:

mandie

Here she is eating a snack

143211478464479887572.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mandie

Eating some snacks

Attachments

• 1432115369439432129251.jpg
    1432115369439432129251.jpg
    945.8 KB · Views: 26

mandie

And then right back to hiding after a dip in the pool and some snacks. Is thos normal?

Attachments

• 1432115871753-697434680.jpg
    1432115871753-697434680.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 25

mandie

Here is a picture of her habitat.

Attachments

• 1432116484066-1904667991.jpg
    1432116484066-1904667991.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Mandie, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
As has been said, get rid of the coil bulb as they can cause eye damage and even blindness in hatchlings and don't provide good uvb anyway. Something like a mercury vapour bulb is better.
It is perfectly normal for hatchlings to sleep most of the day, if he's eating and active when he is awake, this is good.

mandie

First, get rid of the compact fluorescent bulb as they can damage the eyes. Also, the critter cage may not be the best fit for what you need.
thanks for the advice. After a lot of google, youtube, and forums I've gotten that far but want to know what's best. No herp vets where I live so just winging it pretty much. What uvb light should I use? And what type of enclosure?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The log hide is ok to leave in there, these little ones are designed to stay hidden away from predators and they don't need much uvb. In the wild they spend most there time buried under leaves in the shade until they aren't so vulnerable. the setup looks great minus the coil bulb. Mine like it moist in their enclosures and do appear puffy at times but I think that's just from being well hydrated. The food looks great too, do you check weights to see how that's going? Sounds like everything your doing is on track. Good luck!!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
For the most part it sounds like you've done this before. Nice job.[/QUOTE]
thanks for the advice. After a lot of google, youtube, and forums I've gotten that far but want to know what's best. No herp vets where I live so just winging it pretty much. What uvb light should I use? And what type of enclosure?[/QUOTE]

That enclosure is perfect for the hatchling and a this is what a very experienced handler once told me about lighting
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432118308.828808.jpg

mandie

Awesome so I can worry about getting a fancy uvb bulb after she stops hiding so much I assume. That should be easy to get 10 mins of sun in especially now thay winter's behind us. Feel kinda bad that coil bulb has been hurting her eyes. I'd hide too lol. Thanks for the advice

mandie

Hello, Mandie, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
As has been said, get rid of the coil bulb as they can cause eye damage and even blindness in hatchlings and don't provide good uvb anyway. Something like a mercury vapour bulb is better.
It is perfectly normal for hatchlings to sleep most of the day, if he's eating and active when he is awake, this is good.
Thanks for the recommendation And advice.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
There is no way to sex a turtle that young.

I would not worm her unless I saw worms. All wild tortoises probably have a certain gut load, it's only if it reaches a certain threshold that you have to address it. Wormer isn't pleasant and should not be given just in case.

Are you sure you can't release her?

mandie

I probably could but then would risk running it over again. Or telease elsewere but not adapting since its a different ecosystem and enviroment. Figured I'd give it a chance. Plus my 3 year old is crazy about it.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Keep an eye on your 3 year old, I used to put turtles in my mouth when little, it sounds dumb I know but kids will be kids.