Help my testudo thrive?

nigelfd

Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham
Hi everyone-
I've been having trouble assessing my tortoise's living arrangements and making it happy and healthy. Hoping to get some advice from the community.

I bought a testudo tortoise last June. At the time, I got a 40 gallon glass terrarium as a temporary home. I knew from research this wasn't ideal (airflow, space as she grows) but again it was temporary. I've used a 26W UVB bulb and and a 100W heat bulb for basking this whole time. For food, I've been giving her romaine lettuce and 2 different kinds of tortoise blend food pellets that I soak to make soft. I sprinkle her food with reptile calcium 2-3 times a week. I soak her about twice a week and she had a large water bowl that she uses to drink from and bathe regularly that I change out every day.

About 3 months ago, I got a new home for her in the form of a small kiddie pool with a diameter of 5 feet. I was eager to give her more space as she had already grown noticeably since I'd gotten her. The substrate I used here was a mixed of cypress mulch, coconut fiber, and fir bark. I had my lighting set up so her basking bulb was above cave dome where she hides, sleeps, and goes on top to bask, and the UVB bulb at an angle so the light covers most of the enclosure.

That lasted about 3 weeks. It was great to see her being more active and I really thought the bigger space and open air was a positive upgrade for her. But I'm not sure how good it was, so I'm hoping for some insight. I would come home and find that she would circle the enclosure for a long time on end. Just walking in circles and constantly trying in vain to climb up out of the side. It made me think that maybe I was mistaking healthy activeness for anxious restlessness. She also was not eating much, and I wasn't finding any poop in her home. I thought she would just need some time to acclimate, but after ~3 weeks of zero poop, I moved her back to the terrarium and she resumed her previously regular eating and pooping habits.

Could it be that I need more lighting for the larger space? I really don't want to keep her in the small terrarium. She is too big for it. Any insight is appreciated.

On a side note: How long is normal for a testudo to sleep in its hiding spot? Today was day 3 of her not coming out at all. I could tell she was alive because I could peak in enough to see that she had shuffled around a bit, but after 3 days of her not emerging, I was kind of concerned and moved her. She's eating right now.

Thank you!
Nigel

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nigel:

Are we talking about a Horsefield tortoise? They do a lot of walking, so that would be normal for a horsefields, however the poor appetite is not normal. It might be that the new larger space isn't warm enough.

nigelfd

Bellingham
Hi Nigel:

Are we talking about a Horsefield tortoise? They do a lot of walking, so that would be normal for a horsefields, however the poor appetite is not normal. It might be that the new larger space isn't warm enough.

Thanks for the reply. Yes she is a Horsefield. Maybe I should add an additional heating bulb. Or maybe something underneath?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree, more heat, or a partial cover.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone-
I've been having trouble assessing my tortoise's living arrangements and making it happy and healthy. Hoping to get some advice from the community.

I bought a testudo tortoise last June. At the time, I got a 40 gallon glass terrarium as a temporary home. I knew from research this wasn't ideal (airflow, space as she grows) but again it was temporary. I've used a 26W UVB bulb and and a 100W heat bulb for basking this whole time. For food, I've been giving her romaine lettuce and 2 different kinds of tortoise blend food pellets that I soak to make soft. I sprinkle her food with reptile calcium 2-3 times a week. I soak her about twice a week and she had a large water bowl that she uses to drink from and bathe regularly that I change out every day.

About 3 months ago, I got a new home for her in the form of a small kiddie pool with a diameter of 5 feet. I was eager to give her more space as she had already grown noticeably since I'd gotten her. The substrate I used here was a mixed of cypress mulch, coconut fiber, and fir bark. I had my lighting set up so her basking bulb was above cave dome where she hides, sleeps, and goes on top to bask, and the UVB bulb at an angle so the light covers most of the enclosure.

That lasted about 3 weeks. It was great to see her being more active and I really thought the bigger space and open air was a positive upgrade for her. But I'm not sure how good it was, so I'm hoping for some insight. I would come home and find that she would circle the enclosure for a long time on end. Just walking in circles and constantly trying in vain to climb up out of the side. It made me think that maybe I was mistaking healthy activeness for anxious restlessness. She also was not eating much, and I wasn't finding any poop in her home. I thought she would just need some time to acclimate, but after ~3 weeks of zero poop, I moved her back to the terrarium and she resumed her previously regular eating and pooping habits.

Could it be that I need more lighting for the larger space? I really don't want to keep her in the small terrarium. She is too big for it. Any insight is appreciated.

On a side note: How long is normal for a testudo to sleep in its hiding spot? Today was day 3 of her not coming out at all. I could tell she was alive because I could peak in enough to see that she had shuffled around a bit, but after 3 days of her not emerging, I was kind of concerned and moved her. She's eating right now.

Thank you!
Nigel
Hello and welcome Nigel. Looks like you got all the typical wrong pet store info and products. Here is the right info:

And a little more help:
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer for 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can mount a fixture on the ceiling, or hang a dome lamp from the ceiling. Go lower or higher wattage if this makes the enclosure too hot or not warm enough. Do not use "spot" bulbs, mercury vapor bulbs or halogen bulbs.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. Unless your house gets unusually cold at night, you can skip this step for a Russian or other Testudo species. Night lows above 60 require no night heat for Testudo species.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. I've been using LEDs lately and they are great, and run cooler than a florescent. This can be set on the same timer as the basking bulb. If your tortoises room is already adequately lit, you don't need this one either.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside in a safe secure enclosure for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height. Plexi-glass or screen tops will filter out some or all of the UV produced by your bulb. Regular "T 8" type UV tubes produce hardly any UV. CFL type UV bulbs are also ineffective, and sometimes dangerous, and should not be used.

nigelfd

Bellingham
Thank you all for your replies and advice.

1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer for 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can mount a fixture on the ceiling, or hang a dome lamp from the ceiling. Go lower or higher wattage if this makes the enclosure too hot or not warm enough. Do not use "spot" bulbs, mercury vapor bulbs or halogen bulbs.

I appreciate this recommendation. How many of such floods would you recommend for an enclosure like mine (circular with a 5 foot diameter)? Would you be able to link me to the sort of the product you refer to? I want to be sure I understand. Thanks again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California