Help needed for a neglected turtle

oddwater

So yesterday I received a tortoise from my dad, who in turn received it from a co-worker, and the history from there is blurry. Concerning why, I have no idea, but I'm assuming it has to do with him thinking turtles are very similar to tortoises. I also live in northern California, which means the weather is pretty stable between mid 50s at night and 70's in the afternoon if that is important.

Although I don't have any pictures right now (I'll make sure to get them up ASAP), he seems to be a russian tortoise. I washed him up with lukewarm water since it looked like he was dirty, and he isn't very active, but he ate some romaine lettuce.

I'm wondering what should I do, since I'm completely in over my head on this one. He isn't very active, but he ate some romaine lettuce.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you set him up in a pen outside? Make it as large as possible, like 4x8 or larger. If not get him set up inside in again as big of an enclosure as possible. Inside, get him a uvb light or put him outside each day for an hour or more. Get some dirt or coconut coir for the substrate and hide to hide in and low clay saucer for water and another for food. I would soak him every day in warm water for 20-30 minutes until he seems more active. Feed him every day dark leafy greens, not just romaine. Get the humidity for him upto about 30%. At the beginning of this forum in the species section, you will find a care sheet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The most common cause of tortoise lethargy and not eating is because he isn't warm enough. Do you have a light over the tortoise so he can warm up his inner core to above 80F degrees?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

I'm in San Jose CA. it is overcast now but forecast say will be sunny in the afternoon. That will be the time for you to take your torts outside, in the sun as long as the air temperature are over 75 F. Under the direct sunlight the temp should be higher. Looks like your torts ( we love to see a photo as you promised) are dehydrated and too cold. Get him/her warm up and a soak, he will be more active for sure.

Have fun and Welcome again.

oddwater

Here are the promised pictures. I took them while bathing him in warm water in a little bin. He's also become more active as well so I fed him a bit of kale. I think something is off about the shell.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Here are the promised pictures. I took them while bathing him in warm water in a little bin. He's also become more active as well so I fed him a bit of kale. I think something is off about the shell.View attachment 119241 View attachment 119242 View attachment 119239 View attachment 119240
thats a russian tortoise with a perfectly normal looking shell, except for the split scute. read this entire care sheet. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/