Help needed please (buy from petshop?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
I found a Russian Tortoise at my local pet smart (Denton tx) I don't know if I should get it. I have heard it is not good to get reptiles at a chain pet store ( or any really). Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Help needed please

We have many members on here with Russians from pet stores. Although, I would rather not encourage pet stores selling them. It's your call. If it looks healthy and you want it, go for it.

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member

wellington said:
We have many members on here with Russians from pet stores. Although, I would rather not encourage pet stores selling them. It's your call. If it looks healthy and you want it, go for it.

The hard thing is I don't have a table or anything yet. So I think it may not be smart but I have never seen them at any store around me

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri

I would wait until you have everything set up for it before you buy one, but I agree with Wellington, I don't want to encourage pet stores selling them, but it should be okay.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah

I bought my Eloise at Petsmart....don't listen to their advice (they don't know the right answers) and take you new friend to a vet of your choosing before the 14 day vet gaurantee is up just to be on the safe side...a 54 gal rubbermaid tote and the right lights and substrate has made my Eloise a happy little tort girl...she could be a boy since she's under 5 inches but I like the idea of her being a girl...oh and I found out after I bought her that she is NOT a baby so don't even bother asking how old the tort is whatever they say is probably wrong!....Good luck!!

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio

Eloise's mommy said:
I bought my Eloise at Petsmart....don't listen to their advice (they don't know the right answers) and take you new friend to a vet of your choosing before the 14 day vet gaurantee is up just to be on the safe side...a 54 gal rubbermaid tote and the right lights and substrate has made my Eloise a happy little tort girl...she could be a boy since she's under 5 inches but I like the idea of her being a girl...oh and I found out after I bought her that she is NOT a baby so don't even bother asking how old the tort is whatever they say is probably wrong!....Good luck!!

When I bought Boris from our PetSmart, the girl told me he was a few months old. With the research I had done before buying him I knew she was way off since he was already about 4 inches long. I asked her only to see hat she would say. She also suggested putting reptibark in with his coconut fiber. I did do that but quickly noticed that the reptibark can get stuck in their shells especially their neck area so I added alot more coconut fiber. They were actually feeding him some tortoise pellets and some lettuce, carrots, peas and I forget what else but we fed him romaine lettuce the first day and than I printed out the list of the proper diet from russiantortoise.org and we got him a variety of greens. It took him a couple of days to eat a decent amount.

tortallyinsane11

5 Year Member

One of my Russians came from Petsmart, the other is from a Rescue. I agree that I wish Petsmart wouldn't sell them but also think its ok to buy them because I sure hate to see them left there! A tort leaving Petsmart has a much better chance than a tort staying! Basically, buy the tort and leave the advice and info behind. That you will get better elsewhere(like here)!

kira

5 Year Member
Bay Area, California
If you know exactly what a healthy tort looks like, and you're able to inspect it there before you buy it, & it looks healthy, go ahead & get him. I got lucky when I got my russian, I was a newbie & had no clue what I was doing, but I ended up with a completely healthy little guy. Don't listen to the Petsmart ladies, they have no idea what they're talking about. Do tons of research beforehand on what you need for their enclosure, food for it, and healthy torts. Once you feel comfortable, go look at them. Until then, research research research!

ssha_miami

5 Year Member
rhondak said:
When I bought Boris from our PetSmart, the girl told me he was a few months old. With the research I had done before buying him I knew she was way off since he was already about 4 inches long. I asked her only to see hat she would say. She also suggested putting reptibark in with his coconut fiber. I did do that but quickly noticed that the reptibark can get stuck in their shells especially their neck area so I added alot more coconut fiber. They were actually feeding him some tortoise pellets and some lettuce, carrots, peas and I forget what else but we fed him romaine lettuce the first day and than I printed out the list of the proper diet from russiantortoise.org and we got him a variety of greens. It took him a couple of days to eat a decent amount.

I agree with you. Petsmart sales are not professional at all. Actually, they just over confidence, but lack of training... I saw them put the dry pellets in the dish, the tortoise cannot eat at all. When I point it out, the assistant was not happy, showed me a cold face. Omg. They also strongly recommend me the bark. Bark looks pretty, but easy to mold. I do not want my baby live in mold, I choose soil and sand.

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I bought both of my Greeks at Petsmart. Everyone is pretty much correct. The staff is highly uneducated when it comes to tortoises of any sort--make no mistake, buying from Petsmart is not the route I would choose, but my Greeks were $80 there, where as a breeder would have charged me $200 for a mature one.
My male had an URI when I got him so I had to take him to the exotic vet, but my female was in perfect health.
I was told my male was only 2 or 3 years old at the most by some of the staff and since I've been raised around tortoises, I knew they were wrong, but I didn't know how wrong. So when I took him to the vet I was told he's well matured, so over 10 years old.
All Petsmarts and Petco's get their reptiles from the California Reptile Supply, they're all WC. So regardless, you spend $50 for your tort at Petsmart, but $120-200 in vet bills in case something goes wrong and Petsmart refuses to pay for your bill.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
For the supplies you will need it is so much cheaper to buy online. Most items are so overpriced in the pet stores. Some of the sites to check out are thatpetplace.com, and reptilesupply.com. You can pay about half the price online than at PetSmart, Petco, etc.

I usually will buy enough for at least a few months. Some sites offer free shipping if you spend a certain amount so I tend to take advantage of that and just stock up on supplies that I know I will need later such as the coconut fiber brick packs, bulbs. I look at different sites to find the best deals. I usually only buy supplies at the local pet store if I need it today. After seeing the online prices I just can't buy the stuff from the local pet stores.

Make a list of the items you will need and start looking online and get your enclosure setup and ready before you buy the tort. This way it will be ready and waiting for him/ her.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.