Location (City and/or State)
CA
he might be eating it. do you soak him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure he has a proper basking temp of 95-110. They need this to properly digest their food. Also as mentioned they will eat it. Try putting him in a large container like the tub, put warm water in to half way up his shell and soak him and let him roam all over the tub. Sometimes the warm water and all the moving around will get things flowing through.

Be sure he has a proper basking temp of 95-110. They need this to properly digest their food. Also as mentioned they will eat it. Try putting him in a large container like the tub, put warm water in to half way up his shell and soak him and let him roam all over the tub. Sometimes the warm water and all the moving around will get things flowing through.

What kind of bulb do I need for that and what wattage

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get yourself a mercury vapor bulb and a dome light fixture with a ceramic socket to put it in. They have them at Home Depot for about $13.00. The bulb from a pet store. The mercury vapor bulbs give heat, uv and light.

Get yourself a mercury vapor bulb and a dome light fixture with a ceramic socket to put it in. They have them at Home Depot for about $13.00. The bulb from a pet store. The mercury vapor bulbs give heat, uv and light.
Is there a special wattage I need for a Russian tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What are you using at the moment?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I was just looking at your other thread 'am I failing my tort, you do have a uvb. basking and night heat bulb don't you?
Are any of them the coiled or long thin loop type? If so it needs to go asap.

I use an Arcadia Mini D3 MVB which gives light heat and uvb in one bulb very easy to use

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At the moment I do not have one of those bulbs
If you already a have a UVB ligh then you can use a regular 60 watt incandescent bulb for the basking spot. If you don't already have a UVB light, then the Arcadia mentioned will work good, giving you all three in one, light, heat and UVB or the power sun 100 watt mercury vapor bulbs by Zoo Med always worked good for me. A ceramic heat emitter will work too, but only gives off heat, no light or UVB.

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
She is not eating because her metabolism is slowing down due to low temperatures. When it's too cold she will not defecate also.That's what it's like with the cold blooded animals. You need one of those basking bulbs the other members have suggested asap to speed up her metabolism. Soaking her may help with the defecation but warm water three times a week is not enough to keep your tort's metabolism running.