tail turned red and not pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jehan mehta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
INDIA (MUMBAI)
hi.
my star tortoise is not pooping from 2 days... i dont know whats wrong... please help me.. my tortoise is eating well but doesnot poop from 2 days... n now today wen i soaked her it didnot poop n tail turned red in colour....... i soak her daily for 20mins in Luke warm water......... but no use..... no change.....

please help
jehan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jehan:

I don't suppose you know of a reptile vet there in India?

Two days isn't a long time for a tortoise to go without a bowel movement, however the tail turning red is worrisome. Can you show us a picture?

If you think the tortoise might be constipated, you can syringe some mineral oil (parafin oil) down her throat and squirt a bit into the cloaca (the hole in the tail).

What does the "red" tail look like? Is it a red mass that has come out the hole?

Sometimes when a young mail tortoise reaches sexual maturity, they put their penis out. Do you think this is what it could be?

jehan mehta

5 Year Member
INDIA (MUMBAI)
emysemys said:
Hi Jehan:

I don't suppose you know of a reptile vet there in India?

Two days isn't a long time for a tortoise to go without a bowel movement, however the tail turning red is worrisome. Can you show us a picture?

If you think the tortoise might be constipated, you can syringe some mineral oil (parafin oil) down her throat and squirt a bit into the cloaca (the hole in the tail).

What does the "red" tail look like? Is it a red mass that has come out the hole?

Sometimes when a young mail tortoise reaches sexual maturity, they put their penis out. Do you think this is what it could be?

hey thnx for the reply
i applied parafin oil on it's tail n gave little with food so it can swallow... n it has been 2 day's since i m applying parafin oil on its tail.. n the red thing went off.... but it still cant poop..... d tail has come to normal colour.. n i dont think its matured enough because it is just 1year old n i dont know if it is mail or female because i tried alot to figure it out but didnot get to know about its sex.. n yeah i can see it trying to poop... should i feed it?? or should i keep it hungry for a day or 2 so it can poop well?? i soak it for n hour daily... but it still cant poop.. it seems tired now... it has tried alot.... it takes itz neck in n pushes hard... but only liquid comes out(pee) but no poop...
please help
jehan

n yeah its tail seems to have a small swelling .. on it but the red thing gone

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm very sorry, Jehan, but all I know to do is to put the oil down the throat and up into the hole in the tail, then long, warm soaks. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid there's nothing more I can tell you. You should try to find a vet who will help you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't know what the weather is like where you are but is there any way you can get your tort outside for some sun and exercise....motion will sometimes help to get things moving.....perhaps you can let em out in a secure area in the sun to walk about a couple of hours and then soak him again?

If your weather is not warm out right now maybe you can put warm water in your bathtub just deep enough for your tort to be able to walk around and exerciseI in the warm water and also will be soaking at the same time...sometimes lack of regular activity will create a back up when it comes to pooping....:D

jehan mehta

5 Year Member
INDIA (MUMBAI)
hey thanks for the replies..

i visited vet today

he said your tortoise is normal as its active and no stones can be seen near the anal.. n he said give her coconut oil which may help her to poop.... rest everything is fine he said....
he gave me time of two days..
he said if she doesnot poop in the next two days then he will treat her rest he said it will be fine..
thanks a lot...

jehan

ascott said:
I don't know what the weather is like where you are but is there any way you can get your tort outside for some sun and exercise....motion will sometimes help to get things moving.....perhaps you can let em out in a secure area in the sun to walk about a couple of hours and then soak him again?

If your weather is not warm out right now maybe you can put warm water in your bathtub just deep enough for your tort to be able to walk around and exerciseI in the warm water and also will be soaking at the same time...sometimes lack of regular activity will create a back up when it comes to pooping....:D

i give my tort sun bath every alternate days.. :) n weather is warm rite now.. i m in india (mumbai) 34 degree Celsius .... n i give her daily soaking .... :) i guess i should take her out for a walk.. as it keeps sleeping all the time :p :D
thanks
jehan

Status
Not open for further replies.