Help? (Pet store tortoise in Brighton, MI)

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I just saw this little guy in a pet store near me and almost cried. I told the people what was wrong with their enclosure and they listened but I still think this one is going to die. I want to help but don't have room for another.

My pictures won't upload on my new iPhone

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391709484.819405.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391709494.268205.jpg ok suddenly working again. This one was in with a ton of bigger ones and was trying weakly to climb out of the cage. Brought tears to my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
RE: Help?

Ah the dreaded pet shop visit....don't go there any more. I have seen some ok set ups in some pet shops and I have seen some down right awful ones....

I say don't go in anymore...here is why;

Humans want to possess things...living, non living alike

Demand...as long as there is this desire to own the shops will remain open

Not many humans can agree on a common thread let alone a common good, well not too often---so pet shops will remain in play

If you are not able to go in, get what you want, get out without venturing to the ugly area...then don't go in the pet shop....

I say that not as being nasty but just simply....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Hannah:

Your subject line says, "Help?"

Does that mean you'd like one of us to go to the pet store and see if we can buy the tortoise? Do you know how much they're asking for it? And, where exactly is this pet store so we might help?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

You can do as some of us have done.....pick up the little one and take it home and get it going right and then rehome him....you can not save the entire world....but if you choose to, you can save pieces of it

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Help?

I'm just not sure what to do. I told the people there what was wrong with the enclosure and how to fix it and they said they would. The tortoise is $100 in Brighton, MI. If someone on here can take the little guy I can go get it and keep it until it is healthy enough to ship

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
What exactly is wrong with the enclosure? What leads you to believe the tortoise will die soon? It's sort of hard to go on 2 overhead photos and a vague description.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't believe they have those up in Brighten. We don't even get them here in Chicago, which is so way bigger. The best you can do, if you can't buy it is get a good care sheet, should be able to get it either in here or thetortoiselibrary.com, it's a members sight. Give it too them, and let them know you will help them in getting the husbandry right for the little ones. He looks pretty dry. Then, keep checking back every week or so too be sure they have made and kept up the changes. Don't turn your back on them though, you are the torts only voice.

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
I live in ohio, id be willing to meet up To buy him... Poor lil baby!

yllitleinad

What is the name of the pet shop? You can message me if you don't wanta post in public forum. I'm about 25 minutes north of Detroit and have been looking for a new little one. :)

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He looks like he hasn't seen the likes of water or humidity for a while. If you do end up buying him, give him a nice LONG soak and maybe a little food. He may not eat right away. You can make a hurry enclosure for now until you can get a better one. It will be better than whatever (s)he had in that pet store. Hope he can be saved.