HELP PLEASE-!! Cracked beak, advice needed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Have a gander at my current care sheet if ya like:

View attachment 186200
Feel free to spread it around if you approve of my design.
I hope some up and coming Red Foot Tortoise fans can learn from this~

You don't need a hot side/cool side with RF tortoises. An overall of about 80F is fine. Also, your night time temperature (like was said above) is too cold. There's no need to fluctuate the humidity. It should always be high.

Average-Joe_15

I successfully filed down her upper beak tip to a smoother edge, more inline with the rest of her upper beak.

image.jpeg
(Compare to first image in thread)

Her underbite seems to be corrected, so hopefully the cracks can continue to heal.
If it doesn't, I will take her to a veterinarian to either have them file down her lower beak or possibly repair the cracks.

Average-Joe_15

I closely monitored her eating ability today and am glad to see improvement~

However, on one occasion while eating her mushy, boiled carrots I heard her beak tips make contact with one another and cause a *snap* sound as her upper beak passed forward from behind her lower beak, so the under-bite is ever so slightly still present...

This continued snapping sound confirms that her cracks are still being opened each time in occurs, so while she might not be getting worse, I don't think she can start healing and get better.

I plan to have a chat with my local pet store owner tomorrow who has his very own 16 year old Red Foot.
Hopefully he can provide some more advice, encouraging words, or even a recommendation to a local veterinarian.

While this whole incident may be very minor, it worries me immensely---
This is my first encounter with a pet injury, and now I'm experiencing panic attacks-!! :(
I'm still considering putting my dear tort up for adoption...
but I feel if I can overcome this bump in the road, the confidence boost will keep us together~!!

Average-Joe_15

I spoke to my local pet store owner and he gave me the advice everyone seems to:
"I wouldn't worry about it, but keep an eye on it." ;)

He also recommended a local veterinarian so I have that resource as a back-up plan if things get outta hand.

I'm trying my best not to sweat the small stuff... :oops:
so the plan is to monitor her beak cracks for the month and, if necessary, visit the vet after that.
Hopefully things naturally take care of themselves from here, but if not, I have access to the power of modern science~

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I tend to worry about every small thing, too.
Poor Tidgy gets terribly fussed over when there's actually nothing wrong.
But it's better this way.
I'd hate to not care or miss something that is serious.
Good luck.

Average-Joe_15

Things are looking up~
:)

...but just in case they aren't, I'm about to make an appointment at a reasonably close veterinarian for an all around check up and possibly a simple beak filing (for the harder to handle lower beak).

We're both on the right track to recovery, but gosh, what an unfortunate coincidence it's been for my tort and I to experience our own first injuries at the exact same time: it's been a real emotional roller coaster--- :confused:
At least she's back to eating with no complications and I'm back to walking on my own feet~ :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Things are looking up~
:)

...but just in case they aren't, I'm about to make an appointment at a reasonably close veterinarian for an all around check up and possibly a simple beak filing (for the harder to handle lower beak).

We're both on the right track to recovery, but gosh, what an unfortunate coincidence it's been for my tort and I to experience our own first injuries at the exact same time: it's been a real emotional roller coaster--- :confused:
At least she's back to eating with no complications and I'm back to walking on my own feet~ :D
Glad you're keeping positive.
I know all to well how hard that is sometimes.
Not a bad idea to get a check up, but make sure it's a proper herp vet, as ordinary vets are often worse than useless.
Hoping you both continue to improve.:)

Average-Joe_15

Well...
Mother Nature has officially stepped in and is actively nurturing my tort's beak back to full health.
To my surprise one of the cracks was subtly healing very well from behind the layer of damaged keratin, so I can rest easy now with this more thorough understanding of the beak's natural healing process. ;)

Actually, this whole experience has also helped me thoroughly understand a far more significant truth:
I'm not capable of caring for a pet. :oops:

It took me a little longer (8 years) than the average first-time pet owner to accept this realization. I really thought I could raise and care for this beautiful creature for the duration of its lifetime, I really did.
As someone who passionately loves animals I thought I would be the most suitable for such a responsibility, but in reality what I thought was a strength was actually my greatest weakness: I care too much. :rolleyes:
It may sound cliché and pompous but I feel like this truth is overlooked by many naïve pet enthusiasts, young and old.
There's a healthy balance of dedication you have to meet mentally to be a capable pet owner, it's not easy.

I hate myself a little for causing all this strife, but I'm finally making the responsible decision by admitting my lack or responsibility and surrendering my pet tortoise to a reputable reptile rescue, adoption, and education organization. I'm going to cooperate with this professional society of experts to ensure the healthiest possible future for this tortoise.
I hope someone can learn from my mistakes in the future, no one should ever have to live through this grief of being separated from a loved pet and having to shake up its lifestyle in the process... :(

Thanks, TortoiseForum, for all the years of support, and sorry for all my absurd drama.
:tort: Cheers to happy, healthy torts~

Last edited: