• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Cracked Beak? - Russian tortoise

Sandradoucet12

Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, Ma
Hello everyone! I noticed my tortoise beak looks like it has a crack? Please give advice. Thank you. Do I need to trim her beak shorter? Maybe it's a stress crack? Maybe he is dehydrated? IMG_20190723_181125.jpegIMG_20190723_184926.jpegIMG_20190723_184932.jpegIMG_20190723_184927.jpegIMG_20190723_181126__01.jpeg

Sandradoucet12

Worcester, Ma

crimson_lotus

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
As you have already suggested, I would definitely get their beak trimmed! You may also want to start giving him cuttlebone to keep the beak length down for the future

JoesMum

5 Year Member
Kent, South East England
The beak is overgrown. You need to trim the beak before a piece breaks off. A vet can do it if you’re not happy having a go.

Things you can do to prevent this in future:
- Feed food that needs to be torn at by the tort; don’t chop it up. Weeds are more fibrous than lettuce.
- Let your tortoise have an outdoor enclosure incorporating a bit of weedy lawn for it to graze on.
- Put a cuttlebone in to be chomped on. Buy one from the bird aisle of the pet store.
- Put food on a rough surface, eg a piece of flat rock or slate, or even the ‘wrong’ rough side of a ceramic wall tile.

Sandradoucet12

Worcester, Ma
He will not eat the cuttle bone. How often can I trim the beak? I just trimmed it before the picture. I don't chop up any of the foods. I feed on a rough surface also.
Thank you for answering.

Sandradoucet12

Worcester, Ma
Ah, I had no idea. I went by what my friend who gave it to me told me. I know the beak has nerves. So I don't want to trim it to short to fast also.