cracked beak

Here is the thing, he is going on day 4 here at my house and is still pretty shy, I do not think getting his head out to trim the beak will be possible at this point. If I put a paver stone down will it most likely trim on its own as it does not seem to be too bad at this point. My main concern is the crack, how do I help that heal?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Regarding the head bobbing, very normal. Often done to show the new owner that he's the boss and that you should do every thing he wants. :)

I bought him from Adam at Torts R US. I am just very disappointed that people do this. Do not sell an animal unless you know he/ she is 100%. I am now having to handle this matter and fingers cross the crack does not get worse as it is up his beak and almost looks like it is to his flesh.

UPDATE: I trimmed and cut his beak, once he realized what he was doing and some soft coo'ing he came right out and let me handle business. The crack I cannot tell how old but the back piece of the beak that was cracked flaked right off. He started opening his mouth once I had it all trimmed, I think he feels better. Already moved his food to a terracotta dish and will pick up a paver this afternoon. Thank you all!

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have seen some people also will use a brick or something similar as a feeding spot for torts to help with filing down beak and nails.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
This just makes me so upset as the gentleman who sold him claims he noticed nothing wrong with him when I purchased him. He should of noticed the beak in this shape.

There really is no way to know when the crack happened...and if the beak becomes a little overgrown it will subject it to this type of damage....it can happen even if a healthy beak chomps down on a rock or a piece of food with a rock stuck to it....so just know that the better condition the beak the less likely it will happen.....the new dish and paver will certainly do well....:D And good job on the trimming of the beak by the way....

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
That is a very pretty tortoise & I hope that everything goes well with the beak overtime!