HELP PLEASE!!!! Hermanns Tortoise Eye Problem

Sosakan

Called the vet today, the one who specializes in exotics isn't in until tomorrow, so we get to wait another day, yay! I have been soaking him in a mix of water carrot purée and pedialyte as per @wellinton's instructions. Only thing I can do is wait and treat him with kit gloves.

More updates tomorrow...

Sosakan

Well, I talked to the vet last night and I'm afraid it doesn't look good. The vet says that it may be a congenital disease, like @wellington said. We are going to try a different Eye ointment and cross our fingers. If this doesn't work, we have one more option then the vet says we might need to put him down if he doesn't die by then.

Thankfully? The vet says this is likely not something I have done, but rather something he was born with or developed, this eases my guilt, but doesn't make possibly losing Einstein any easier.

Thanks for the support, I'll keep these threads updated.

Chace

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Chase:

Your tortoise's problem isn't his eyes. The eye is the result of other problems, more than likely husbandry. I can help you treat his eyes, but unless you correct the husbandry problem, he's not going to get any better.

Please re-read our Hermanni care sheet: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Read it with an open mind, and change anything that's different from the way Chris advises us to care for them.

Mix Gerber baby food strained carrots 50/50% with warm water in a tall sided bowl with a small footprint and soak the tortoise in this mixture for at least 30 minutes daily (longer is even better). I place the bowl back into the habitat in order to keep it warm. You should see his eyes open after about three days.

You can also apply ointment to help sooth the eyes, but neither of these things will fix the tortoise's problem. You MUST change your husbandry.