PLEASE HELP!! (eye problem)

Lennythetort

Location (City and/or State)
Arcadia
????
I have a question about my tortoise he was taking a bath and was splashing a lot when I took him out I noticed his eyelids came out like when they wake up it’s pink ish from the water hitting his eyes too much 1 went back to normal but the other didn’t and it’s bugging him because he keeps rubbing it can you please help me what to do? I am very worried first time this has happened he is about 2 and a half should I take him to the vet or try eye drops? It happened yesterday around 4pm

B9A27648-0E4C-46F2-9217-EC0FE82994DE.jpeg708BFCB1-EB98-4067-84A3-97D16FCD0D74.jpeg123332B6-EBAF-43DD-A832-04AA5E933701.jpeg

Lennythetort

Arcadia
????
I have a question about my tortoise he was taking a bath and was splashing a lot when I took him out I noticed his eyelids came out like when they wake up it’s pink ish from the water hitting his eyes too much 1 went back to normal but the other didn’t and it’s bugging him because he keeps rubbing it can you please help me what to do? I am very worried first time this has happened he is about 2 and a half should I take him to the vet or try eye drops? It happened yesterday around 4pm
@Yvonne G any advice here?

@Lennythetort are you able to get a closer shot of the eye in question?

I just got eye drops for him at petsmart they said it can be like something is in his eye...

Attachments

• 9880DE51-DAD6-43BB-99E3-126689618339.jpeg
    9880DE51-DAD6-43BB-99E3-126689618339.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

Lennythetort

Arcadia
I just got eye drops for him at petsmart they said it can be like something is in his eye...
He had water bubbles come out his mouth
It comes and goes but he keeps rubbing his eye... I’m worried I just want him to be better.. :/ I used the drops in the morning today was the first day he still eating peeing and walking around it’s just bothering him...

Attachments

• 03CE4325-EA8D-4600-8C15-A04F5718236F.jpeg
    03CE4325-EA8D-4600-8C15-A04F5718236F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • E7D47F78-4426-4FE4-A575-8DDF4C4936F1.jpeg
    E7D47F78-4426-4FE4-A575-8DDF4C4936F1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • A0CC77F3-37AD-458A-B063-BC6457AEE20A.jpeg
    A0CC77F3-37AD-458A-B063-BC6457AEE20A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
He had water bubbles come out his mouth
It comes and goes but he keeps rubbing his eye... I’m worried I just want him to be better.. :/ I used the drops in the morning today was the first day he still eating peeing and walking around it’s just bothering him...

Thanks, those pictures show it much better. @Tom @Markw84 any ideas what might be going on here?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
He's a great looking tortoise. My instinct is that a vet visit is in order based on those latest pictures. Do you have a good exotic vet in your area, preferably with tortoise experience?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He might have something there irritating the eye,or he could have scratched it. A vet can stain the eyeball and take a close look.

Lennythetort

Arcadia
Yea I live in Los angels but his eye looks better then it goes back to that because of the rubbing I have a feeling and the petsmart person said he must’ve got something in his eye. He still eats and pees just fine walks around but of course the eye does bug him... I just wanna know if he’s going to be okay or just try and make an appointment with a vet which would take about a week or so because of covid..

Lennythetort

Arcadia
He might have something there irritating the eye,or he could have scratched it. A vet can stain the eyeball and take a close look.
Do you think the eye drops I got today should help or should I just try and make an appointment for the vet.? Thank you so much for the reply I’m just worried for him and want him happy he’s a great tortoise

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Do you think the eye drops I got today should help or should I just try and make an appointment for the vet.? Thank you so much for the reply I’m just worried for him and want him happy he’s a great tortoise

Thanks Yvonne for the input.

If it were me, I would make an appointment with a qualified tortoise vet. You've got a beautiful sulcata there and I'd hate to rely on the drops and end up causing issues.

Lennythetort

Arcadia
Thanks Yvonne for the input.

If it were me, I would make an appointment with a qualified tortoise vet. You've got a beautiful sulcata there and I'd hate to rely on the drops and end up causing issues.
Yea he’s 3 great Health lots of energy eats well poops pees great it just sucks to see him like this...

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Yea he’s 3 great Health lots of energy eats well poops pees great it just sucks to see him like this...

I completely understand. Nothing is worse than when your tortoise isn't feeling himself.

Please keep us posted. Maybe some other sulcata keepers will see this and have something to add. I would make the vet appointment though - worst case you pay for a vet visit you didn't need, but better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Lennythetort

Arcadia
I completely understand. Nothing is worse than when your tortoise isn't feeling himself.

Please keep us posted. Maybe some other sulcata keepers will see this and have something to add. I would make the vet appointment though - worst case you pay for a vet visit you didn't need, but better safe than sorry in my opinion.
Definitely will keep you posted thank you so much for the info and helping me stay sane... I made an appointment for tomorrow at 3:30 pm they had a cancellation at his doctor/Vet so I’m going tomorrow I don’t care about the money I just want him to be okay...

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Glad to hear they had an opening! Have you been to this Vet before? Be cautious if they try to recommend "vitamin injections" as they have been known to cause problems, and seem to be an indication that the vet doesn't have a lot of experience with tortoises.

Lennythetort

Arcadia

Should I try putting warm water down his face/eye? Or just leave it?

Lennythetort

Arcadia
Glad to hear they had an opening! Have you been to this Vet before? Be cautious if they try to recommend "vitamin injections" as they have been known to cause problems, and seem to be an indication that the vet doesn't have a lot of experience with tortoises.
Yes this is his Vet we been taking him too she also has a tortoise so that’s cool
Should I try pouring warm water down his head/eyes? Or just leave it?

Lennythetort

Arcadia
Here’s a photo of him eating right now of course his eye is pink and still bothering him but it comes and goes when it gets like the other pic

Attachments

• FA0C835F-4CD6-4B1D-A293-BEA0649AF763.jpeg
    FA0C835F-4CD6-4B1D-A293-BEA0649AF763.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
from what I know, soaking in warm water is never a bad idea.

I would get a tub of about 95F water and give him a nice soak, with the water about halfway up the side of the shell. Soak him for 30-60 minutes, and taking a cup and pouring water over his shell will rinse his head and eyes also

Lennythetort

Arcadia
H
from what I know, soaking in warm water is never a bad idea.

I would get a tub of about 95F water and give him a nice soak, with the water about halfway up the side of the shell. Soak him for 30-60 minutes, and taking a cup and pouring water over his shell will rinse his head and eyes also
Yea true I tried it but don’t think it helped his eye is back the way it was almost closed looks a little watery

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
????
I see he's on dry orchid bark. Orchid bark is the best substrate but it needs to be damp.

Are you using indoor UV? What type of bulb? At what distance?

Is the enclosure an open top?

What size tortoise?

Does he go outside much?

I see kale in the pic, but what else do you feed him?

Eye problems are most commonly from:
1. Wrong UV bulb.
2. Dry dusty substrate, or wrong substrate, like sand mixtures or soil.
3. Malnutrition from feeding a small variety of grocery store greens with no amendments.
4. Cool temperatures.

Let's see if we can confirm or deny these four things?