Emergency! (eye problem)

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
i picked up my tortoise today and he has a film over one eye and I don't know what to do I have him soaking now! please help

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
I mean picked him up out of his enclosure I've had him 5 years. it's just one eye and since he's been soaking it doesn't look like its there anymore

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Your tortoise might be dry. is it being kept indoors? If so what humidity is it being kept at?

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
he is indoors and it's usually around humidity has been hard but it's usually around 50

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
I was gone for a week and my mom doesn't really know how to maintain humidity

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
thank you so much I was ready to drive him an hour to the emergency vet do you think that's necessary? or should I monitor this until Tuesday when he can see his normal vet?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Maybe it was a little substrate particle in his eye that just needed to be flushed out. For an eye emergency first aid #1 is always to flush, flush, flush! With clean water, then saline eyedrops, then if still looks irritated/swollen put medicated drops or eye ointment to help with discomfort

Kasia

Poland
thank you so much I was ready to drive him an hour to the emergency vet do you think that's necessary? or should I monitor this until Tuesday when he can see his normal vet?
I wouldn't rush to the Vet, check it out tomorrow morning. You can make a Camille tea and when it's cold flush the eye with it. I agree with @Pearly, flush, flush, flush and keep an eye on it:)

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
hey guys just an update his eye is much better today it looks perfectly normal thank you so much for your advice and support

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
today his eye looks a little swollen when shut and he keeps scratching at it, I have soaked him and washed it out waiting to hear back from the vet.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
My mom brought Randall to the vet for me,

he apparently has an eye injury, not sure what he hurt it on but i have moved all of the plants out of the enclosure. they gave him some eye drops but manly gave me some peace of mind. he looks very healthy otherwise. i am so thankful for you all and thankful to my mother for bringing him so i could would to continue to provide for him and my other animals :<3:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My mom brought Randall to the vet for me,

he apparently has an eye injury, not sure what he hurt it on but i have moved all of the plants out of the enclosure. they gave him some eye drops but manly gave me some peace of mind. he looks very healthy otherwise. i am so thankful for you all and thankful to my mother for bringing him so i could would to continue to provide for him and my other animals :<3:
Just one of those things.
Happens sometimes, no fault of anyone's.
He'll soon be fine, I'm sure. :)