Help please! (mom doesn't approve)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The neighbor, would be a good idea, to ask him for help. I bet you can come up with something between the box and or book shelf to please your mom. Good luck. Keep us posted and don't forget pics of what you end up with. Your showing real love for your tort and responsibility. I hope your mother realizes this too.

emmalaub

5 Year Member
I will defiantly post pictures, once it gets all squared away I will have tons of pictures in my bio, because I just love they way tortoises look, and my tortoise Gamera has such a big personality, he loves to lay on my stomach and just sleep, and give me the cutest of looks, but it's kinda weird when he's in my room and I'm changing and he's staring at me like 0-0. I'll defiantly keep posted on the updates, I'll kinda keep a log each day to figure out the progress. My neighbor is helping build a volleyball net in my backyard, so I'll try to talk to him there, also are bookcases cheap at goodwill, because we have a giant one near us, so I hope they have some there, and I hope the shelves aren't a pain to take out. Again, thanks for everything : )

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There are some great examples of two-story enclosures on this site. Good luck with the project I'm sure you can come up with something that you and your mom and your Tortoise can all live with happily :)

emmalaub

5 Year Member
I'm going to a couple of thrift shops to try and find a good and large bookshelf, I'm going to send her some photos and I hope she approves, wish me luck : )

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Good luck! If you find one that looks a little rough just remind her how much a nice coat of paint will improve it :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Here's an idea your mom might appreciate. Go by your local family run furniture store and tell them you're trying to build a larger enclosure for your tortoise. Inquire as to wether they have a defective wood dresser or chest top that was replaced. They may be willing to part with the old defective top for little to nothing. The finished wood will make a beautiful front for your new enclosure. You could even mount it to the side of a plastic bin to create a better look for your room. I say family run because they are more likely to want to help on a local individual project.

emmalaub

5 Year Member
That's a great idea! We have a couple around here so I'll defiantly check them out, thanks.

emmalaub

5 Year Member
Update: I brought it up during lunch, my mother thought about it then said "If you can pay for it, I will allow you do do the bookshelf enclosure". Since I talked to my neighbor earlier that day about it, she said since her daughter thinks about me as an older sister, she will pay me to babysit her! Guys, I'm getting a new enclosure!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Update: I brought it up during lunch, my mother thought about it then said "If you can pay for it, I will allow you do do the bookshelf enclosure". Since I talked to my neighbor earlier that day about it, she said since her daughter thinks about me as an older sister, she will pay me to babysit her! Guys, I'm getting a new enclosure!
Congrats :)

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I used long containers for my torts first years. They were 2' wide or close to it I can't remember and 3' long. Small yes. But they lasted for four more this until warm summer weather. :)

This is a bad photo but there they are. This was the first night I got them so I had to rig lighting because my new tort tables that would be above them had not arrived. Anyways, I used a basking bulb for each enclosure, and a cheap CHE to maintain heat at the other ends. I also had a 18" UVB tube bulb that went over them both. I don't have a pic with it installed though. Sorry.

I think the idea of combining totes might work if you can water proof it.. I would just build a table... Literally a $60 project... Just get a price of ply wood cut for you with dimensions st Lowes or home depot glue and screw them together and use a shower curtain or pond lining for the waterproofing. Then use saran wrap or foil for the covering to make it closed chamber.

Another good idea is a cold frame green house... They are ALL over amazon. :)

Attachments

• 1405353189707.jpg
    1405353189707.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 39

emmalaub

5 Year Member
I used long containers for my torts first years. They were 2' wide or close to it I can't remember and 3' long. Small yes. But they lasted for four more this until warm summer weather. :)

This is a bad photo but there they are. This was the first night I got them so I had to rig lighting because my new tort tables that would be above them had not arrived. Anyways, I used a basking bulb for each enclosure, and a cheap CHE to maintain heat at the other ends. I also had a 18" UVB tube bulb that went over them both. I don't have a pic with it installed though. Sorry.

I think the idea of combining totes might work if you can water proof it.. I would just build a table... Literally a $60 project... Just get a price of ply wood cut for you with dimensions st Lowes or home depot glue and screw them together and use a shower curtain or pond lining for the waterproofing. Then use saran wrap or foil for the covering to make it closed chamber.

Another good idea is a cold frame green house... They are ALL over amazon. :)
Thanks for the suggestion, my mother already agreed on the bookshelf idea, so I'm going with it, it's rare that my mother agrees to it, we are going to the goodwill tomorrow and other thrift shops to find a good bookshelf, thank god for these suggestions, thanks again.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thanks @leigti , that's actually an awesome idea, my neighbor is a great carpenter, so I could ask for his help, and a bookshelf since nice, plus my mother loves to paint, so I have plenty around, and I think with the shelves I take out I could build a safe second story with the help of my neighbor. @wellington yeah, it's much bigger, probably 3-4 times the size, and the original enclosure is 2 feet long (remeasured it), and with some creativity I can probably make a pretty second level, you guys are helping me so much, I'm so glad I found this site : )

This right hear sounds like your best bet. Good luck

Sent from My RF himself. He is telling me what to type. In fact he's reading this over my shoulder and about to bite my ear.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Thanks for the suggestion, my mother already agreed on the bookshelf idea, so I'm going with it, it's rare that my mother agrees to it, we are going to the goodwill tomorrow and other thrift shops to find a good bookshelf, thank god for these suggestions, thanks again.
Most welcome! Good luck!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Woohoo, so glad you found something she agreed upon. Congrats and can't wait to see pics of the finished product.

Mimirose22

I don't know if this helps but you can see if your dad or maybe a handy uncle/grandpa would be willing to make you a simple tortoise enclosure or even a table. They look really nice and to make your mom happy you can paint the outside of it to make it match the room it is in.