HELP PLEASE (water came out of her mouth)

Emily Deshar

So this is the first time I've ever seen this! Earlier outside she looked like she ate something and water came out of her mouth and now her eyes are watery.... I've tried to make sure I do everything I possibly can to make sure she doesn't get an infection.... her humidity is always 70%-90% she has only moss in her cage since she is only 7 months old and I give her clean water everyday. Her temps are always in the high 80s to low 90s. I did a few days ago start turning her temps down to high 70s at night, could this be the reason why her eyes are watery?? I also just gave her a soak and when I went to take her out I startled her and she "hissed" at me with her head under the water.... I'm just not sure what I did that made her get watery eyes.... So I'm going to be looking for a vet for her to call on monday.. any advice is needed.. I feel like I've failed her....

20170910_155818.jpg 20170910_155837.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is she acting fine otherwise? Some times their eyes will water some. I would turn the heat back up though. High humidity and low temps will make a sick baby.

Bee62

Germany
Night temps between 76 and 80 F are much better for your tort.
Why do you lower the temps ? 70 F is too low.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Show us your equipment and how you monitor your temps. It's possible the temps are lower than what you think.

Emily Deshar

Is she acting fine otherwise? Some times their eyes will water some. I would turn the heat back up though. High humidity and low temps will make a sick baby.

Yes she is normal. Her eyes are not watery anymore and she is eating her greens and mushroom like her piggy self. So I guess it was just a scare.. luckily nothing serious. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170910_181021.jpg
    20170910_181021.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Emily Deshar

Night temps between 76 and 80 F are much better for your tort.
Why do you lower the temps ? 70 F is too low.

I've read that lowering it to high 70s is helpful for a smooth shell because of something with the karitan.. I will stop doing that now. I will leave my temps 80-90 at all times. Thanks

Emily Deshar

Show us your equipment and how you monitor your temps. It's possible the temps are lower than what you think.

I have a che lamp on top of enclosure that is plugged into a thermostat. Then I have a uvb strip light that is bolted inside. I turn that off at night. I have a heat mat under her moss to help with humidity. I use a temp gun to check my temps so I can check all over enclosure and her body temp.

Attachments

• 20170910_180728.jpg
    20170910_180728.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20170907_224750.jpg
    20170907_224750.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 20170907_224746.jpg
    20170907_224746.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20170907_224742.jpg
    20170907_224742.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 27

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would add some substrate under those rocks and what ever the piece of tile thing is. A proper footing when they walk is needed for good muscle development.

Emily Deshar

I would add some substrate under those rocks and what ever the piece of tile thing is. A proper footing when they walk is needed for good muscle development.

That's her feeding tile for her beak.
See I've been told by a few people to only put moss in until they are 1 years old.... I wanted to make it bioactive, but people say she is too young.. but I never knew exactly why.. they just said she needs high humidity so only put moss.. She is 7 months old..

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
What most of us to is about 2" of fir bark on the bottom of that bin (covering the entire bottom). Then add 2-3" of soil from your yard on top of the mulch. You can scatter some more bark here and there and have the moss in her hide.

You want high humidity but you also want the top layer she walk on dry because red foot are prone to shell rot.

They two layer system of soil over bark allows you to keep humidity up and the top layer dry.

What you do is add some warm water to the corners of the enclosure. It will go through the soil and into that bark. The bark will hold the moisture and keep the soil dry (as long as you don't over do it on the water). The Che will warm it up and create the humidity.

It makes a perfect environment for your tort and if you want to make it up active just add some worms, pill bugs and ISO pods. Just know that your redfoot will eat some of them for protein.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Who are those people? Think of them in the wild. Would he only be walking on moss in one spot of the large natural habitat he would have to roam. Of course not. The whole enclosure should have a proper substrate. Put damp coconut coir on the bottom with orchid bark on top and use the moss if you want in the hide. I would also use a smaller tile. Also bury the water dish level with the top of the substrate.

Emily Deshar

What most of us to is about 2" of fir bark on the bottom of that bin (covering the entire bottom). Then add 2-3" of soil from your yard on top of the mulch. You can scatter some more bark here and there and have the moss in her hide.

You want high humidity but you also want the top layer she walk on dry because red foot are prone to shell rot.

They two layer system of soil over bark allows you to keep humidity up and the top layer dry.

What you do is add some warm water to the corners of the enclosure. It will go through the soil and into that bark. The bark will hold the moisture and keep the soil dry (as long as you don't over do it on the water). The Che will warm it up and create the humidity.

It makes a perfect environment for your tort and if you want to make it up active just add some worms, pill bugs and ISO pods. Just know that your redfoot will eat some of them for protein.
Thanks! Yes I already give her worms and rolly pollies from my garden those are her favorite.
I will try that. My husband and I are in the process of trying to either build or buy her an adult size enclosure now. I will move faster on it if she can have the bioactive. Thanks again.

Emily Deshar

Who are those people? Think of them in the wild. Would he only be walking on moss in one spot of the large natural habitat he would have to roam. Of course not. The whole enclosure should have a proper substrate. Put damp coconut coir on the bottom with orchid bark on top and use the moss if you want in the hide. I would also use a smaller tile. Also bury the water dish level with the top of the substrate.
That is very true. I've seen another lady who did bioactive for her two hat bling and tons of people lectured her about it.... it was a Facebook page I joined that has many breeders and experienced owners and newbies on there. But what you say makes more sense. Glad I found this website.

Bee62

Germany
I've read that lowering it to high 70s is helpful for a smooth shell because of something with the karitan.. I will stop doing that now. I will leave my temps 80-90 at all times. Thanks

Hi,
torts get a smooth shell with high humidity in their enclosure and daily soaks. But when you have high humidity you need it warm too because otherwise your tort will get sick ( Respiration infect ).

Bee62

Germany
Hi again,
here are some pics of the enclosure of my redfoots. Glas tanks are very good to keep humidity and you can watch your tort what she is doing. Try to get a big tank. The tort will grow fast.
Here the pics:

PICT2426.JPG PICT2465.JPG DSCN1762.JPG