Help: Russian tortoise drop in activity and appitite

Geng

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

My 1 year old female Russian tortoise doesn't behave as she was before. She used to be very active and had a large appitite: walking around before the lights were on, climbing on everything she could see, devouring her food, , constantly walking around her enclosure and immidiately reacts to food when she sees it coming. It was a healthy tortoise.

Lately she has been acting sluggish. She sleeps the most part of the day. She would open her eyes sometimes and look around, but she doesn't get up to roam or climb, only to fall asleep again after being awake for few minutes. She constantly sleeps on the same spot, and sometimes moves to another spot to sleep. When its bed time she used to have different places to sleep, but nowadays she sleeps in the same hide every night.

Neither has she been eating alot. My tortoise used to be a monster when it comes to food. I was worried that she would overeat. She has this behaviour to walk over her food and make a mess of it before she starts eating. Spring mix and endive are her favorite, but she has a weak heart for dandelion flowers. One time she saw me coming with dandelion flowers in my hand. Reacted immidiately ofcourse, but it was funny to see that my tortoise was reaching out her right arm to grab her food like "give it to me!". Sadly these behaviour don't occur these days anymore. When its lunch time she would walk to her food and nibble a bit, and falls asleep after not eating much. She still eats dandelion, but not with much passion as before. She doesn't eat her food when I sprinkle it with calcium.

As a beginning tortoise keeper I don't have much knowledge about tortoise's way of thinking and doing, so I hope someone can help me and provide me the anwser to my problem. I'm not sure but I think that lightning may have something to do. I used to have two lamps: Reptech 80W MVB and Reptech 20W basking lamp. I don't use the basking lamp anymore because its useless when the MVB is on and it doesn't make the enclosure much warmer. However her enclosure is a bit darker without the basking lamp on.

Temps: basking spot 95-100F, warm side 85F, cool side 75F, night 75F (room temperature).
Substrate: moist coco coir with a dry upper layer
Humidity: mostly + 50%
Enclosure: open enclosure (planning to make a closed enclosure asap for better humidity/temps)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are about the 4-5 post about this same thing and all with russians. My russian is doing the same thing. However, it is a common thing with mine and I would assume all the others that are doing the same thing.
I just keep doing the same thing, daily put him outside, give fresh food and water every day and let him do his thing. This is of course after all temps, etc has been ruled out. I put mine outside daily, so no artificial heating to be concerned about for now for mine.

Geng

5 Year Member
You are about the 4-5 post about this same thing and all with russians. My russian is doing the same thing. However, it is a common thing with mine and I would assume all the others that are doing the same thing.
I just keep doing the same thing, daily put him outside, give fresh food and water every day and let him do his thing. This is of course after all temps, etc has been ruled out. I put mine outside daily, so no artificial heating to be concerned about for now for mine.

This tortoise is making me overworried since day 1, so I can easily get stressed over lots of things that my tortoise does :confused:
Anyway, thanks for the reply! Seems like I'm not the only one and even experienced tortoise keepers are dealing with it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This tortoise is making me overworried since day 1, so I can easily get stressed over lots of things that my tortoise does :confused:
Anyway, thanks for the reply! Seems like I'm not the only one and even experienced tortoise keepers are dealing with it.

Yep, it seems to be a thing for russians right now. I would just keep a closer eye and make sure he stays hydrated and then not worry so much, I know it's hard not too. I Have had it happen usually twice a year since I got mine and he is healthy otherwise, so I just don't worry to much about it.

Vladsfriend

Ohio
@wellington That's an interesting comment. My Russian is also exhibiting similar behavior. I noticed you are in the Midwest too. Perhaps it has to do with a weather pattern or they just sense it's the dog days of summer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@wellington That's an interesting comment. My Russian is also exhibiting similar behavior. I noticed you are in the Midwest too. Perhaps it has to do with a weather pattern or they just sense it's the dog days of summer.
I don't know what it is. I do think it has something to do with the weather though. He, my russian does it in the summer and also in the winter. im thinking maybe when it's the hottest here for too long and then maybe when it's the coldest for too long?

Vladsfriend

Ohio
That seems like a reasonable idea. I had noticed he does it sometimes, but I had never connected it with a wider trend outside of him getting occasionally grumpy.

Tort93

South Wales, UK
My tort is doing this too, and I'm in the UK! I was worried it was something I was doing but maybe it is the weather... Interesting...... o_O

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
I'm also seeing this with my male but fear from too much noise/strangers seems to assist. Meanwhile, it's been much warmer than normal and the main room he's in is warmer right now than his previous home. On nights when it gets back to "cool", suddenly he goes back to the normal pattern, thus I think weather is affecting the torts, at least in the U.S..

mlummus

My tort is doing this too... We did just move but the first month after moving there were no signs of stress from the move! He was eating like normal and was more active than I thought for being in a new enclosure. All of a sudden he started sleeping a lot and eating less. Apparently Russian torts do this every so often? It put my mind at ease that other torts were acting this way but it's been weeks now that my Frankie has been being sluggish. He's walking around more but he barely eats. Before today when I caved and let him have pumpkin, he hadn't eaten anything in three days (maybe longer, sometimes I can't tell if he's eaten anything). If anyone is familiar with this behavior if love some more reassuring advice lol. I'm sure everyone else having this problem would agree