Help sexing my Leopard

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Hello everyone.
Haven’t been on the forum for a long time.
Have a Leo names Thor... kids named him when he was a ping pong ball size. [emoji51]

Now he is about 7/8 years old. 9” or so long. (Slow growing due to he can only be outside 4-5 months a year.)

And I’m thinking Thor May be a she... what do you all think?

No concave plastron, very short tail, the scutes throw me off. Not a V not a U...
I look forward to your thoughts
Thanks
Chris
IMG_2065.jpgIMG_2064.jpgIMG_2062.jpgIMG_2060.jpg

TheKB

Finland
Great looking tortoise!
I would say it's a she based on the flatness of the plastron (that you describe, it's not clear from pictures), shape of tail (short like a pyramid instead of long like a cheese wedge). The tail end of the plastron is also not very sharp V to help the penis reach, but wide V allowing eggs to pass.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
Great looking tortoise!
I would say it's a she based on the flatness of the plastron (that you describe, it's not clear from pictures), shape of tail (short like a pyramid instead of long like a cheese wedge). The tail end of the plastron is also not very sharp V to help the penis reach, but wide V allowing eggs to pass.

Makes sense, that’s kinda what I was thinking too. Thanks

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Male of that size should have a huge tail, so almost surely female. The anal scutes of females vary more than males, they can be narrow v, nearly square(90°), or rounded, but males almost always have the wide v with the mustache shape.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mmmmmm. now we're talkin my kind of thread :)