Help! Sulcata can't open one eye

GreciaGalgos

I woke up this morning and went to check on my little Sulcata tortoise, there was cold air drifting from somewhere and the temperature inside his cage was dangerously low. I installed the cage in a warmer place and now the temp is slowly going up but When I picked the little guy to check on him I saw that he can't/won't open his right eye. Is this because of the temperature drop?!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I woke up this morning and went to check on my little Sulcata tortoise, there was cold air drifting from somewhere and the temperature inside his cage was dangerously low. I installed the cage in a warmer place and now the temp is slowly going up but When I picked the little guy to check on him I saw that he can't/won't open his right eye. Is this because of the temperature drop?!

Generally speaking...offering up warmth is your primary goal..how long was the tort in the cold temps? What exactly is dangerously low? What is the humidity usually kept at when the temps are warm?

GreciaGalgos

Generally speaking...offering up warmth is your primary goal..how long was the tort in the cold temps? What exactly is dangerously low? What is the humidity usually kept at when the temps are warm?

It was at 74 and dropping, I normally never let the temperature go below 80
The humidity is around 60 at night, and I keep it above 80 in the day with regular misting.

GreciaGalgos

I know I sound like a broken record to some of us, But what lighting are you using?

I use a zoo med 75w basking spot lamp. And a 100w CHE. I have an exo terra repti glo 10.0 Uvb desert lamp, but I don't have that plugged in right now since I'm still able to take my tort out to the sun for an hour everyday (I really don't like those lamps)

GreciaGalgos

Oh right, the temperature is 86 on the warm side, and 78 on the cool side (is this okay?) he now can open his eye, is a bit swollen around the eye, but his eye is clear and shiny. He is active again, but now he is a bit too active! He keeps banging on the glass, scratching inside his hides and trying to climb everything....he has never done this before. I've put a visual barrier on the glass but he doesn't care and keeps trying to climb the wall! What do I do?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh right, the temperature is 86 on the warm side, and 78 on the cool side (is this okay?) he now can open his eye, is a bit swollen around the eye, but his eye is clear and shiny. He is active again, but now he is a bit too active! He keeps banging on the glass, scratching inside his hides and trying to climb everything....he has never done this before. I've put a visual barrier on the glass but he doesn't care and keeps trying to climb the wall! What do I do?

Personally I would try to get the basking spot into at least the mid 90s and do as you have with no less than 80 at all time day or night...it is KEY that you assure the set up is sound..if you are using a closed chamber system it is imperative that you don't let the temps drop..generally speaking, when a warm moist place loses the warmth part of the equation..then the humidity will climb along with the dropping temps...just basic information shared here..

Did you lose power or did you just encounter a variable not planned for? This is essential to determine as well so as to not be faced with again...I would let the temps stable out and let the tort de stress a bit and keep an eye on him..

GreciaGalgos

Personally I would try to get the basking spot into at least the mid 90s and do as you have with no less than 80 at all time day or night...it is KEY that you assure the set up is sound..if you are using a closed chamber system it is imperative that you don't let the temps drop..generally speaking, when a warm moist place loses the warmth part of the equation..then the humidity will climb along with the dropping temps...just basic information shared here..

Did you lose power or did you just encounter a variable not planned for? This is essential to determine as well so as to not be faced with again...I would let the temps stable out and let the tort de stress a bit and keep an eye on him..

We've found the culprit. Last night the strong wind broke and blew away the chimney cover allowing the cool wind to enter the house right into the room where I had the tortoise. We are working on fixing the chimeney but as of right now my baby will be relocated to a warmer part of the house.

Ok, I will make sure the temperature on the cool side stays at 80 then. Thank you. I may have to buy another CHE though. Is there a another way to keep the temperature warm at night?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cold temps and dryness are common causes of this sort of eye problem, but frequently some sort of mechanical eye injury is the culprit. It won't hurt anything to use some Terramycin eye ointment just in case the latter is your cause.

If a little draft has dropped your temps that much, you ought to consider supplementing your over night heat sources a bit. Winter is coming…

If you can return that bulb, you should. If not, don't use it. Get a long tube type florescent or a mercury vapor bulb for long indoor winter stretches.

GreciaGalgos

Cold temps and dryness are common causes of this sort of eye problem, but frequently some sort of mechanical eye injury is the culprit. It won't hurt anything to use some Terramycin eye ointment just in case the latter is your cause.

If a little draft has dropped your temps that much, you ought to consider supplementing your over night heat sources a bit. Winter is coming…

If you can return that bulb, you should. If not, don't use it. Get a long tube type florescent or a mercury vapor bulb for long indoor winter stretches.

I'll see if I can get my hands on some Terramycin. Thank you.

Well, it was was not That little, but yes, I agree I will need another source of heat. Maybe a heat pad?

Hmmm, I don't think I can, and is the only type they sell around here. I'll see if I can order one of those online. Thank you Tom.

GreciaGalgos

He fell asleep after eating, ate quite a lot. Now that he's finally still I managed to take a picture of his eye.

What do you think?

I'm super worried, I'll run to the pharmacy to get the medicine Tom mentioned. And I'll contact the vet as soon as the clinic opens.
Is there anything I can do on the meantime??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 15

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have used saline solution as used by contact lens wearers to flush eyes, if there's a chance there's something in it.
Just a drop or too gently dripped over the eye. I bought some when I thought my tort may have blocked nares and someone here suggested I use it for that.
Check it can be used with the cream though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll see if I can get my hands on some Terramycin. Thank you.

Well, it was was not That little, but yes, I agree I will need another source of heat. Maybe a heat pad?

Hmmm, I don't think I can, and is the only type they sell around here. I'll see if I can order one of those online. Thank you Tom.

For heat, I like to use over head ceramic heating elements set on a thermostat. You can use multiple CHEs, or one larger wattage one to get the job done depending on your individual enclosure.

I get my florescent UV tubes here:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

The eye concerns me. A trip to the vet is warranted here I think. Make sure you find a vet that does reptiles and tortoises, and don't allow any "vitamin injections". Really any injection scares me. Injectable Baytril is very hard on them, so if the vet recommends this I would seriously consider not using that vet or letting them treat your baby. It was an old standby for years, but its very harsh. There are better, but still related, medicines on the market now and a good tortoise vet will know this.

GreciaGalgos

Right

We are back from the vet
The bad news is that the little guy has pneumonia.
The good news is that we caught it on an early stage. His nose is a bit constipated and his eyes are swollen, but overall the vet says there is nothing to worry about.
No injections, he says those are way to aggressive on tortoises, specially babies, so he only uses them as last resort.
So for treatment. I have to raise the overall temperature of the enclosure to above 95 while he recovers. I'll run to get another CHE tomorrow, in the meantime I managed to raise the temps with an incandescent bulb.
And the other thing, I have to build him a little sauna to clear his nose. Put some drops of camphor in a cup with boiling water, put that in a plastic box, secure it with a towel, put the tortoise in, close the box, and let the little guy breathe the warm vapors for 15 minutes every day, for seven days.

The vet says everything will be fine and that my tort will be back to normal in a week or two. He also gave me his number so I can keep him informed with the progress.

My fingers are crossed.

Thank you everyone for all your help.