HELP!!!!!!! (tortoise lost in the house)

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
There is one more idea... Hear me out... Before my tort I have a RES... I have a outside area for her. I never would have thought that she would climb a 3 foot fence but she did. I have a very curious dog that had to watch her all the time. Well make a long story short. The day. She disappeared I took my dog back there and kept asking if he knows where Betty is? Find Betty! I swear on my turtle.... He was all over the yard. When I was about to walk away he kept digging and barking at the bottom of the deck where there is a small hole. Sure as hell... She was under there. Just a thought. Also depends on if your dog was ever curious of the tort. I know I know sounds crazy. But I swear on it that my dog found my turtle lol. Can't hurt to try.
I've heard of someone doing this too with a retriever dog. It does sound crazy especially with the dog tortoise horror stories, but in this situation many other things can go wrong too, i'd say go for it, follow the dog closely but she may very well be able to find the tort when you cant because "something wont be right" somewhere smell wise.
And especially if its still missing at this point after days I'd say its getting rather important to find him asap. Any food bits left out been munched?

Jesse Hummel

I use four lengths of pine plank, width depending on the size of the tortoise. I have 2 eye bolts on each end, 16 total. The eye bolts are set so they can line up to form a corner, then I have wooden dowels that I insert down through the eye bolts to secure each corner.

It breaks down and sets up quickly, very portable. You can expand it with additional lengths. Indoors I put down a moving blanket, they are about 9 dollars at uhaul, outdoors just place it in a spot that offers both shade and sunlight with grazing.

You still want to supervise your tort, climbing, digging, and predators are all possible with this set up.

Hope you found your tortoise.