HELP!!! Tortoise not moving!?

Amethystblossoms

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello fellow tortoise mates. It’s my first time here, and I want to say about something that really shocked me this morning —

When I woke up this morning, I saw one of my baby sulcata tortoises’ not moving. Their limbs are out, their neck was out— But swollen?

I have everything that tortoises needed- Light, shelter, food — Is it an infection or some other sickness? Please let me know!

I have pictures for references if needed:

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1060.jpeg
    IMG_1060.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is the tortoise responsive? That looks like internal gas pressure due to decomposition.

How many do you have?

Most of the care info given for this species is all wrong. If you want us to help, we can figure out what went wrong.

Amethystblossoms

Washington
Is the tortoise responsive? That looks like internal gas pressure due to decomposition.

How many do you have?

Most of the care info given for this species is all wrong. If you want us to help, we can figure out what went wrong.
It’s not responding when I tried to speak to it (surprisingly it remembers my voice and they would turn to look at me in response depending on its mood), and I tried to gave a bath to see if it would wake up from it— But still no response! They’re in the same position as always!

I have about two baby tortoises in separate enclosures.

I’ve been looking for info to care for baby sulcata tortoises, especially on what food to feed them.
Please help me and figure what happened, I very appreciate it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s not responding when I tried to speak to it (surprisingly it remembers my voice and they would turn to look at me in response depending on its mood), and I tried to gave a bath to see if it would wake up from it— But still no response! They’re in the same position as always!

I have about two baby tortoises in separate enclosures.

I’ve been looking for info to care for baby sulcata tortoises, especially on what food to feed them.
Please help me and figure what happened, I very appreciate it!
Most of the care info given for sulcata babies is all wrong. People tend to keep them too dry, to cool, get the wrong lighting, and don't soak them enough.

Its a lot to take in, but read through this thread and then click the link on the sulcata care sheet at the bottom. This will tell you what details you have right or wrong.

As you read through that info, you will likely discover what went wrong. If not, we can ask some questions and help you figure it out. They die for a reason.

Amethystblossoms

Washington
Most of the care info given for sulcata babies is all wrong. People tend to keep them too dry, to cool, get the wrong lighting, and don't soak them enough.

Its a lot to take in, but read through this thread and then click the link on the sulcata care sheet at the bottom. This will tell you what details you have right or wrong.

As you read through that info, you will likely discover what went wrong. If not, we can ask some questions and help you figure it out. They die for a reason.
Yes, I already know the info is given wrong, but I just need answers to know if my tortoise is having an infection or not!

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
It looks dead. Does it respond to touch?

Are any of its toenails or leg scales missing?

Amethystblossoms

Washington
It moved its head and limbs a little bit, but not much

I’ve checked and it doesn’t seem to be missing any toenails or leg scales

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
I'm sorry this is happening. If he has moved, could anything be stuck in the tortoise's throat? If you think he is alive can you make an emergency appointment with a vet?

Amethystblossoms

Washington
I don’t think it has been eating anything way earlier since we always remove leftover food around late nighttime, and we’re currently making an appointment with a exotic vet as possible.