newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
At least she's eating, thats great !

ShannonC

South Carolina
So glad she's still eating!! I have high hopes for her!! Just be careful of giving her too much Panacur in such a short amount of time until you actually see her expelling a lot of dead worms! As big as the ones were in the photo, she probably has quite a lot of them tons of smaller ones and tons of eggs!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. No more for her for at least a week.
I just posted dosing instructions from an Email sent by my vet.
About the same information you supplied, more or less.
She advocates 1 larger dose every seven days. For three doses.
She was sitting in her soaking pool this morning. The last time she did that, she pooped.

Attachments

• 20150504_154705.jpg
    20150504_154705.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13

ShannonC

South Carolina
Yeah, different people (even vets) give different advice. But the one thing I have found in common is that when there is a heavy load to start, you have to dose low at first so that the amount of worm die-off doesn't cause any impaction while being expelled.

I used to work for a vet, who is a very good friend of mine, and has always let me borrow his reference books and stuff. He doesn't do exotics, but he has a lot of medical references for them, just in case, and he always stays current with his materials. Even the latest reference has the three days on, seven days off, then three more days. But, my exotics vet that I use for all my herps says with heavy load, always do the half dose method and wait a week, then full dose, then another week, full dose.........wait a week or two, then do the three days on, seven off, three on.

I have had herps almost my entire life. Actually, I have had so many animals it's scary, including many exotics, and even raised exotic birds for about 17 years. So, I have taken on MUCH of my own medical care for my animals since I was about 20 yrs old. (That's been just a FEW years ago....haha!)

Hopefully she will poop again today!! The more she poops, the better!!!! I'm so happy to see that she is eating something!! That always seems like such a good sign to me!! I actually have a VERY injured Axolotl right now that I have been babying for the last few days.......she finally ate one worm yesterday, and it just tickled me to death! I always feel like it's just the first step to being healthy again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I Might have slightly over treated. I just got surprised that she actually ate. I didn't want to miss my opportunity in case she stopped again.
I was looking at tube feeding and tube treatment.

ShannonC

South Carolina
I Might have slightly over treated. I just got surprised that she actually ate. I didn't want to miss my opportunity in case she stopped again.
I was looking at tube feeding and tube treatment.

Oh, I understand that completely!! Like i said, I always get excited when I get a sick animal to eat!! It was all I could do not to keep feeding my Axolotl more worms yesterday, even though I knew it wasn't a good idea! We just want them to be better right now!!

Just keep an eye out for poops and make sure she doesn't get clogged up. I'm sure she will be fine!

ShannonC

South Carolina
Not sure......I guess it would depend on how badly she was impacted. If she continues to eat, but doesn't poop, I would soak her often in very warm water, as often as possible, to see if you could get her to poop that way. The warmer the water and the more space they have to move around while soaking, the better. (not too hot though!!.....the temp of water is hotter than we think sometimes!!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When speaking about dosing (And can someone give me a relatively safe dosage ammount to give to my tortoises?), are referring to the aforementioned diatomaceous earth, or the Panacur you later reference?

I don't think it's a safe practice to give out dosages on the 'net. Panacur comes in different strengths. If one doesn't pay good attention to the strength of the medicine they're using, you could kill/poison your tortoise. It's always the best policy to have the vet weigh your tortoise and give you the correct dosage for your particular tortoise using the de-wormer he sells you or approves.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
In this case the information I now have came from my vet. I agree with your point. You make a lot of good points.
Im using 10% CREAM with dosages adjusted accordingly. She (my new vet)
suggested and sells 2% liquid. But she had no stool sample to test. Once I saw worms, she told me what to dose in an Email. I just asked for a safe minimal dosage from members. I hadn't yet heard back from the vet at that time.
This is day three of her eating. No more meds for 7 more days.
She ate banana and broccoli rabbi.
Soooo picky but each day she seems better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In this case the information I now have came from my vet. I agree with your point. You make a lot of good points.
Im using 10% CREAM with dosages adjusted accordingly. She (my new vet)
suggested and sells 2% liquid. But she had no stool sample to test. Once I saw worms, she told me what to dose in an Email. I just asked for a safe minimal dosage from members. I hadn't yet heard back from the vet at that time.
This is day three of her eating. No more meds for 7 more days.
She ate banana and broccoli rabbi.
Soooo picky but each day she seems better.

I'm glad she seems to be settling in and getting better.

My problem with the dose, wasn't with yours and your vet's, but rather with some other reader of the 'net, even a 'guest' and not a forum member, seeing the amount of de-wormer per pound of tortoise and skimming right over the percentage or strength of the de-wormer. Someone could poison their tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
No Sharon. I posted my own dosage thread and it didn't make it to prime time. I do understand why.
Yes. She has a lot of energy and is walking around a lot. However she still will only eat Mango and Banana with a small bit of Broccoli rabbi.
Do you know of any short term issues with only fruit consumption?
I don't seem to have a choice right now.

ShannonC

South Carolina
I have no idea about the fruit! I don't have any that eat fruit. But, if it were me, I would let her eat whatever she will just to get something in her. Fruit should definitely get her bowels going I would think!.....lol.....You can practice tough love with her diet when she is better. I probably would TRY to get her to eat other things, but if she won't, then at least she's eating something......gotta get something in to get something out!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have no idea about the fruit! I don't have any that eat fruit. But, if it were me, I would let her eat whatever she will just to get something in her. Fruit should definitely get her bowels going I would think!.....lol.....You can practice tough love with her diet when she is better. I probably would TRY to get her to eat other things, but if she won't, then at least she's eating something......gotta get something in to get something out!!
Exactly my thoughts on the matter. I hate second guessing myself. But, sometimes there is a big problem with what I'm doing and another person can point it out.
She has decided to not eat Papaya or watermelon or even strawberries! Just banana and mango.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yesterday she ate some over ripe pear sliced.
She will no longer eat mango. And she only eats inside her house. Not in the yard and only on the ground. Not in a plate.
What a strange little thing.
She got a long soak in a kiddie pool. Still no poop. It's possible that if it's runny it could disappear in the substrate. I just don't think I've missed it.
Next worm treatment is next Saturday.