Roundworms

Tori67

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
I have a Greek tortoise, and he pooped out a round worm. I brought him to the vet and he has a de-wormer, so that’s all set.

However, his enclosure is cleaned daily I never let poop or urates sit in there. Round worm is usually from contamination; he eats weeds (plantain, dandelion, etc) from outside, which I’m assuming he got the worms from. How do I prepare the weeds so that there aren’t any worm eggs present? (Or really any parasite)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a Greek tortoise, and he pooped out a round worm. I brought him to the vet and he has a de-wormer, so that’s all set.

However, his enclosure is cleaned daily I never let poop or urates sit in there. Round worm is usually from contamination; he eats weeds (plantain, dandelion, etc) from outside, which I’m assuming he got the worms from. How do I prepare the weeds so that there aren’t any worm eggs present? (Or really any parasite)
They are extremely common and most tortoises can live with them with absolutely no issues.
Care must be taken to take all of the meds (if you do treat) to catch any hatching eggs. And do replace all of your bedding and sterilize your enclosure, bowls, etc.
I generally only advocate treating for these parasites if the tortoise seems lethargic or has passed several whole live worms at once. (And almost never for eggs found in an otherwise healthy torts poop by a vet)
Treatment is easy. But not always needed

Last edited: