Help with Round Worms pls

Kez

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi.
Took Tortoise for health check at the vets last Thursday. I suspected that he had round worms before we went & quite a heavy infestation of them as he had passed live worms once in poo.
Vet confirmed round worm and gave him 0.75ml of Panacur. I gave it to him on the Friday after a day of little food & due to give him another 0.75ml two weeks after the initial dose.
Today he passed another six live adult worms. I’m assuming this shouldn’t be happening as he has been treated?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
You might see live worms for a couple days as the panacur takes some time to work. Make sure you remove the stool and surrounding substrate immediately. Over the next week it would be normal for you to see dead worms in the stool. Panacur only kills the worms, it does not destroy eggs, so all of the dead worms will pass over the coming days. The second dose in two weeks is intended to kill any worms that emerged from eggs after the initial treatment before they lay eggs themselves.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I actually ONLY saw whole, live worms the one time I had to treat for them.
They will be expelled, or be absorbed, digested when they are dead or dying.
Replace all bedding. Because parasite eggs can survive outside of the host for some time and then re infest the tortoise.
The second treatment kills and new parasites that were eggs in the first treatment and lived.
Treat exactly as your qualified vet says to.
The treatment amount and type is based on your tortoises parasite, weight and general health.

Kez

United Kingdom
Thank you guys.
I was concerned that I shouldn’t be seeing live worms, thought they would all be dead after treatment.
Tortoise must have had those worms before he came to me, I only noticed them after three and a half weeks of having him. Thanks again for your help and advice.