Quarantined tortoise

Krokodillentranen

Location (City and/or State)
Rotterdam
Hi there!

My tortoise, Walter, has had parasites for the last three weeks. He's been on antibiotics ever since he was diagnosed by a specialized exotic veterinarian, roughly three weeks ago. He's had five days of Flagyl and two days of Panacur. Last Monday I still noticed he pooped out worms, so I went back for another dose of Panacur.

He's currently in a plastic tub with paper towels (because he's being quarantined) and has been frantically trying to get out for the last couple of days. It's painful to see him this distressed. He had medicine on Monday, and today's the first day all worms in his poop are dead. Can I put him back in his cleaned enclosure? Or should I wait longer? My vet said 3 days would be enough.

He's getting his final dose of Panacur on Monday October 18th. Do I need to wait till then?

His main enclosure has been properly cleaned and has new substrate.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks in advance

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Barb. . . wait for a few days after the last dose (normally we wait 10 days after the last dose then dose again - because the medication doesn't kill the eggs that may be present. Waiting 10 days allows for eggs to hatch, then dose again)

Krokodillentranen

Rotterdam
If it were me, I would wait for a few days after the last dose.
You could remove all the substrate from his enclosure and then put him back in it. This way you wouldn't have to do a complete redo if there were more parasites.
Makes sense, I thought the same thing. That's why I left him in his temporary enclosure, six days after having had Panacur. Just to make sure. I'll dose him next week en keep him three days after.

Do you happen to know what microscope I need if I were to learn how to inspect his feces for potential parasites?

Thanks for your help!

Krokodillentranen

Rotterdam
I agree with Barb. . . wait for a few days after the last dose (normally we wait 10 days after the last dose then dose again - because the medication doesn't kill the eggs that may be present. Waiting 10 days allows for eggs to hatch, then dose again)
Makes sense, I thought the same thing. That's why I left him in his temporary enclosure, six days after having had Panacur. Just to make sure. I'll dose him next week en keep him three days after.

Do you happen to know what microscope I need if I were to learn how to inspect his feces for potential parasites?

Thanks for your help!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

Thanks for your help!
Accurately measure the amount of flotation solution required for the test. A microscope. This is the most expensive item on the list, but the good news is that you certainly don't need a top-line model. In fact, you'll need a magnification of only 100, which is right at the lower end of most microscopes.

They make clip on lens for most smart phones that allow for zoom in and out so they could be used for other specialized picture taking

Krokodillentranen

Rotterdam
Accurately measure the amount of flotation solution required for the test. A microscope. This is the most expensive item on the list, but the good news is that you certainly don't need a top-line model. In fact, you'll need a magnification of only 100, which is right at the lower end of most microscopes.

They make clip on lens for most smart phones that allow for zoom in and out so they could be used for other specialized picture taking
Thank you so much for your answer!
If you could link me to a suitable model, that would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster