Vomiting worms

texastort55555

My tortoise is vomiting worms that are long and pink. They are alive. I took him tot he vet immediately, but he didn't know what kind of worms they were. He gave me Panacur, which I started last night. Tonight he took the second dose. The vet gave me a five day dose. However, he vomited the medicine up, along with the worms.

My questions are these: - 1) Why are there worms in his vomit but not his feces?
2) How long does it take for him to stop vomiting worms, after Panacur?
Thank you!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
The weird thing about this, to me, is that you are giving him a dosage for 5 days straight. That stuff is pretty strong and when my turtle had worms we did panacur once, waited a week, and did the second and final dose. That was it.

Really hard to identify the worms without pictures. Is your tort new? What type, and if it is new, was it wild caught?

texastort55555

Hi crimson lotus,
We have had our tort for about 5 years, so not new. I called the vet back and he said that it was some sort of roundworm. I thought it was strange to give Panacur for five days straight as well. I am happy to report though, that he had some dead worms in his poop today! So, its working.