Tortoise worm

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickwack

5 Year Member
Hi, i recently found a worm near my torts poop, it was not an earth worm, and after some thought it clearly is some sort of parasite that was pooped by one of my torts.

I believe it has come from my male tort, he seems to eat a lot more than the female. I was able to take a picture of the worm, it didnt move much and didnt have a head or anything...

it looks like a round worm... i will take the poop to the vet, but i also want to know if there is anything i can do so that my other torts do not become infected... thanks!

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 132

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they are in the same enclosure, then I would treat all of them. You can also try feeding some well blended into a mush pumpkin, seeds, meat and skin. Works a natural dewormer. However, not sure how well it works. Maybe others will know.
If they are not in the same enclosure, then make sure they stay that way.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use pumpkin but I do not have a worm prob. Try cleaning up all the poop up soon after it is pooped out. Fecal tests should help. I hope this isn't a big problem!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Looks like ascaris. Treat them all. Get rid of the substrate, too. Way back in invert zoo, we managed to hatch encapsulated embryos that were preserved before, so they can be tough.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Baoh said:
Looks like ascaris. Treat them all. Get rid of the substrate, too. Way back in invert zoo, we managed to hatch encapsulated embryos that were preserved before, so they can be tough.

* Some keepers and breeders have a routine annual or biannual deworming program. Our vets have always recommend this!

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn
I try to do fecals 3x yearly and whenever they are acting "off"

I run tests before I bring them in for the winter to make sure they are not brining in any hitchhikers, 1-2 weeks after coming in (sometimes the stress will stir something up) and 1-2 after I place them outside for warm weather. It may sound a bit excessive, but it is easier to prevent parasites than treat it.

Since you already seem to have them, your vet will probably prescribe a pill. Mine never seem to eager to open wide, so I will grind it in a mortar/pestle and put it all over their favorite food. Just need to be sure he will eat it all.

wickwack

5 Year Member
thanks guys for all your replys. I will be treating them for sure, my main concern is that these torts have been walking all around the garden for a few months, im sure they have left poop out there and they will likely be in contact with it again...

im not only concerned for them but for my family, since i hear the eggs of these worms seem to be laid by the millions and are hard to rid of it...

it would seem impossible to get rid of the worms if the "environment" is infected...

also, is it good that he has pooped one of them out? im thinking he must be getting healthier , or perhaps it was just the food?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
There are likely encapsulated embryos around your garden.

There are many reasons that adults emerge. Some are seeking further nourishment. Others are locating mates. Some just lose their positions. Sometimes it is a worm in poor health, but usually not.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Your vet will likely use fenbendazol (panacur). Wait till you see what your tortoise poops out after a round of de-worming meds! Super gross. I would treat both for sure. And maybe once or twice a year retreat.

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
hi wickwack, i recently purchased a male and female golden greek (wc) so i took them to the vet today and they to have worms. he said lots! he gave them (panacur) . they have to be wormed 2 times a week for 3 weeks and i have to bring in a stool sample after worming . i am going to get rid of their substrait during this worming process. i am thinking of just useing paper and leave the substrait in their hide dont want to stress them too much . he also said soak the every day during the worming.. i wish us luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.