HELP!!! Turtle hit by car . Shell in critical condition

Macy Fidler

I found a turtle on the side of the road upside down who was flailing and had just been hit by a car. There are ants on him, I got most of them off with water (avoided getting water in his injuries just in case) and I really need help on what to do with him. I have gauze that I can wrap around him and some cream but this injury is so bad I don’t know what to do. I currently can’t afford to take him to the vet. Please someone help! He is active and scared! IMG_1526703029.679297.jpgIMG_1526703051.455132.jpg

Diamond

Location (City and/or State)
phoenix,az
I would get him to the vet and just let them know you found him on the side of the road. Most vets, I would think, would take him and treat him, or if those injuries are beyond repair they can do the humane thing for the poor animal. He will most likely get a major infection if nothing is done and I'm sure he is in pain right now. Just be up front and tell them you cannot pay for him and he is not yours. You are just trying to help him. Keep us posted. I'm wondering if protecting him in a saran wrap would help until you can get him to a vet. It may help to keep him from losing too much fluid from those openings. I don't have experience with an injury like that. So sorry

Jay Bagley

Michigan
That looks really bad, I agree with the above. Thank you for stopping and doing what you can do for that poor little guy. I hope it all works out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The is there a reptile rescue in your area? Look for that. Also a wildlife rescue?
In the mean time keep it clean, keep him warm and keep all bugs out.
It needs a rescue/rehab center or a vet.

Salspi

Chicago
That’s a tough injury. That must be so painful for the tortoise.