Found turtle hit by car!! NEED HELP!

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
So, he is a she and has laid an egg. I didn't sex because I didn't want to turn her upside down. So what precautions need to be taken?

katrvt

5 Year Member
If you are in Oklahoma, you can turn that kiddo over to wildcare for Vet care, rehab and release. They pick up every single day at 4-430 pm at the okc animal shelter. They are located in noble if you wanted to take him straight to them. 405-872-9338

M

Maggie Cummings

get some betadine from the drug store, clean the wound once only. then get some nolvasan from the same store. wash the wound several times in a dry dock situation, keep it quiet with a black lightbulb on it. don't close the wound, (sorry mike), but you are likely to close bacteria inside the wound and thats a bad thing, do that daily for a while and when it's looking better let it go..research food and offer it daily...

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Best of luck hope all goes well

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes!!

Best wish to you, to the turtle, to the egg. Keep us posted.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Crash passed away last night in her sleep.

I think despite her minor external damage she has some internal. Her feces was bloody and I thought maybe because she laid eggs but after the continuous bloody feces I guess she decided to pass. My heart is broken but every cloud has a silver lining, we found three baby snapping turtles in our murky pool water while cleaning it last night. We set them free in the abundance of the creek. I am going to bury crash tonight and plant flowers on her grave.

It breaks my heart that people would hit a turtle or any animal on purpose or out of lack of care. I hope people are more considerate.

In memory and dedication of crash I am starting an emergency turtle fund for wild turtle I find in bad condition. :) I don't think it will make that big of a difference in the world but if I can save one turtles life then by god I will.

R.I.P. crash.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Isaiah...I'm so sorry. I know you tried very hard to save this turtle. It really didn't seem like the damage was all that much, but I guess she was squashed badly inside. So very sorry.

katrvt

5 Year Member
I'm sorry you lost her. Thank you for caring enough to stop and pick her up. You also gave her a chance to lay that egg. Hopefully it will hatch with your help and she can live on through her offspring.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man that stinks Sorry . That turtle fund is an awesome idea . Hopefully the egg will hatch .