Help we had a fire

matheny00

Location (City and/or State)
Anaheim, Calif
We had a small fire in our house mostly lots of smoke damage. Our 2 redfoots were about 2' away. One has not been very active. They both are some apple last night and we soaked him this morning seemed to take in a lot of water. Eyes are clear breathing clear no bubbles in the nose just not very alert or moving much.

What else can we do to make sure they are ok

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep soaking them daily. You might call a vet or take them in too see if they can find smoke damage in the lungs.
Sorry to hear about the fire, glad it was small and everyone hopefully is fine.

matheny00

Anaheim, Calif
Well this morning got up and the little guy came out to say hi. His action is almost back to normal. We soaked him 3 times yesterday and we changed all there bedding material. The fire damage company came out and they wiped the inside of the habitat with the test sponge (no chemicals) and it was clean. So by the grace of God very little smoke seemed to be concentrated in there enclousurr.
Again thank you.

matheny00

Anaheim, Calif
Well I think we are out of the woods. Both of them are active and eating. We have all new lights enclosed and heating being delivered daily so each day a little more like home. Today added a few plants they liked that. Thank you all for your thoughts.

matheny00

Anaheim, Calif
It was the result of multiple things but nothing to do with equipment. The ceramic heater was left on the counter when the light sensor got light it turned the thermostat on and never shut off being it was on the work bench. So we have purchased the vivarium electronics 300 so this can never happen again

20181002_103341.jpg 20181002_103324.jpg 20181002_103338(0).jpg 20181002_103338(0).jpg 20181002_103324.jpg

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Personally we have insurance to take care of stupid mistakes. My main concern was for my little tortious and they seem to have bounced back very nicely
I'm so happy to hear it wasn't worse. Thanks for the pics! Glad everyone is safe.

matheny00

Anaheim, Calif
So we are 5 weeks plus post fire and torts are doing great so no adverse effects from the fire. So all is great thank you all for your advise and concern

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This could have been so much worse. Thank goodness everyone and everything is ok!