We were warned.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Paisan

5 Year Member
Let me preface this with Friday night our older son had an accident on the playground and had to go for stitches so I was all ready on mommy guilt alert. Now that the Oregon weather is on a warm roll. We have been letting our Russian Frankie out in her temporary pen that we built with remaining raised bed materials while out working in the yard. She got out yesterday and before we noticed :( had gone out the front, across the street (gulp) and into the yard of our good neighbor in the cul-de-sac across from us. Thank goodness we live in a very low traffic block. We looked all over but had no idea how far she got and so did not find her despite a search that continued after putting kids to bed. We had combed our quarter acre and put up signs and warned all they neighbors before it was warm enough this AM for Frankie to come out and sun. The neighbors were on guard when they saw the strange moving "rock" in their front yard. We would have never guessed how far she went. We are so thankful, so guilty and now so vigilant. She is an amazing climber, pretty smart and she is a wanderer who can cover major ground. The final outside pen will have high walls for our escape artist.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Sounds like you avoided a close call. Yeah these little guys will stop at almost nothing to go where they want. Don't worry, when they are out there shivering at night, they'll wish their mommy was there to keep them warm.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
In addition to height, make sure the corners are topped...congrats on finding her.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
SCARY. I would have been so terrified... I am glad you found her! I was obsessive about making an overhang on the top of my pen, and making sure they couldn't dig out the bottom... My husband thought I was being nuts. I just read him your story and he is shaking his head, saying "wow." Now he doesn't think I am so crazy ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

But now her brain is wired with that escape. Bob has escaped several times and now he spends his day trying to get out again. So what I am trying to say is she will remember and continue to try and escape. Can you just imagine what it looks like to see an 80 pound rock walking up the street? He had a crowd of people around him...and now he spends his day trying to get out again...

Status
Not open for further replies.